British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

davidrj

Recent aquisitions

I have only these wire coins

1024449.jpg

1010089.jpg

Fiodor Ivanovitsch this one

1012666.jpg

and as for Peter I

1012218.jpg

had these a while though

1026039.jpg

£6.39. this arrived yesterday

Edited by scott

Thanks for sharing Scott I am looking forward to digging more into Russian coins.

For now I'm back to German. The first to arrive is a decent example of the 4 Reichspfennig "Bruning Taler". I don't really understand the logic behind the coin - the idea was that shopkeepers would reduce prices (I guess working in multiples of 4 rather than 5 was the idea) which would in turn get people spending and sort out a poorly economy. It didn't work.

2d3a7707db7f565a2a83014579de30e0.jpg

5145h_zpsa5ed4e66.jpg

Nice lump of copper for 50p

Boot sale. I'd bought £4.50 worth of stuff, gave him a fiver and he had no change. "This any use?" he asked. Which was great, because I'd not noticed it before.

1026108.jpg

£20... 1810 chicken type, not a rare type of such, possibly remains of the look of a large 8 there

ex-museum accorind to the sellers listing.

Edited by scott

1026108.jpg

£20... 1810 chicken type, not a rare type of such, possibly remains of the look of a large 8 there

ex-museum accorind to the sellers listing.

What's your reference guide for Russian coins?

Ludwig II Madonna Thaler, 1865, Bayern. bbcc7d069dbd65abaee9d8b649baa348.jpg

KM#877 18,52g of .900 silver mintage of 110,000 pieces :)

The Virgin Mary as Brünnhilde, and the baby Jesus as Richard Branson - well, that's a novelty...

I don't have a reference guide, thats the problem, hbowever there is a site i vist that has a russian section and goes into depth on such things

The Virgin Mary as Brünnhilde, and the baby Jesus as Richard Branson - well, that's a novelty...

I have a 2009 copy of the 1801-1900 Krause, handy reference. 80.00 in BU is a bit dreamy though, but maybe you could get them that good at that price in 2009, I wouldn't know. I stopped looking at prices in foreign coin catalogues, less so the English ones too nowadays.

Hah yes Peck that was all part of the appeal.

I have a 2009 copy of the 1801-1900 Krause, handy reference. 80.00 in BU is a bit dreamy though, but maybe you could get them that good at that price in 2009, I wouldn't know. I stopped looking at prices in foreign coin catalogues, less so the English ones too nowadays.

Hah yes Peck that was all part of the appeal.

I don't have a reference guide, thats the problem, hbowever there is a site i vist that has a russian section and goes into depth on such things

What's the link Scott? I'm quite interested in some of the 18th and 19th C stuff.

Actually, thinking about this, I'd have said that 110,000 is relatively low, and I think that the 1866 coins are included in that figure. The Thalers with the Bavarian coat of arms were minted in much higher quantities but go for quite a bit more.

Ludwig II was a crackpot by all accounts but did some nice work - Neuschwanstein Castle - I'd like to get over and see this this year. A few Rapunzelesque blondes whilst in Bavaria is another incentive..

Not to mention the numerous brewing establishments :) Half a pig, a few litres and the keys given to the missus. :), then when it's all over, a trip to the butchers, winzer and brauerei to fill the car up on the day you leave. always a bit hectic, but very worthwhile. :)

Neuschwanstein is a bit touristy. You get a better picture of the place if you climb up the hill behind the palace and look down over it. Also, across the valley you have Hohenschwangau. Do both on the same day. Drinks can be had in any dorf you find. :)

Not to mention the numerous brewing establishments :) Half a pig, a few litres and the keys given to the missus. :), then when it's all over, a trip to the butchers, winzer and brauerei to fill the car up on the day you leave. always a bit hectic, but very worthwhile. :)

Neuschwanstein is a bit touristy. You get a better picture of the place if you climb up the hill behind the palace and look down over it. Also, across the valley you have Hohenschwangau. Do both on the same day. Drinks can be had in any dorf you find. :)

Sounds perfect! I hadn't given much thought to driving over but that would work. Actually I was in Prague last year and regret not bringing back a few crates of Krusovice and more cigars. The cigars I can source online, the Krusovice I haven't been able to find anywhere. A few barrells of the good stuff in the boot sounds about right :)

Hohenschwangau would have to be on the cards. The whole area looks amazing :)

Just bought this for the "wacky designs" set - Obv Cyberman, Rev Kitten :wacko:

$_12.JPG

I suspect it's a medieval German pfennig - research still to do when I get it in hand

Edited by davidrj

yea that is one of the german pfennigs

1026040.jpg

this riga shilling I forgot to post. 1571

1026149.jpg

and more 2 kopek.

Just bought this for the "wacky designs" set - Obv Cyberman, Rev Kitten :wacko:

$_12.JPG

I suspect it's a medieval German pfennig - research still to do when I get it in hand

Found it

Area/Ruler: Bavaria -Regensburg: Bishop Heinrich II and Duke Otto III Reigned: 1277 AD - 1296 AD Denomination: AR Pfennig Date of Issue: 1290-1300 Obverse: Facing bust of bishop or duke under archway with columns. Reverse: Facing busts of bishop and duke under pointed arches. Reference: Metcalfe 51 Weight: 0.8 gms Diameter: 16.4 mm Edited by davidrj

now for the true bargains £1.99 the three

1026173.jpg

1810 US cent

1026174.jpg

1816-19

KM#525. 2 Mark. 1901. Wilhelm II, Prussia (Berlin mint). Commemorating 200 years of Prussia as a kingdom. Pretty common, nicely toned imho.

234ecb58995b5b41bc0e1193fd011a57.jpg

KM#500. 1 Thaler. 1871. Wilhelm I, Prussia (Berlin mint). Celebrates victory over France in the Franco-Prussian war. Seated figure is pleasing to look at under a glass. Hair detail look a little flat but no wear to the ear or beard so I figure it's mostly weak but I struggle to tell.

9a0149c960668fea8b803cd339aacfe7.jpg