British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Accumulator

1922 Penny with rev of 1927

Here's a 1922 i was watching in the wee small hours of this morning, the trident doesn't appear to touch the border, but britts thumb was lower down the shield, so i convinced myself that it wasn't a 22 with rev of 27, see what you think

post-5057-044600800 1301226232_thumb.jpg

Well done, Rich, you've got one!

Never mind the microvarieties they were talking about, having a 26ME is achievement enough.

You're right Declan. It's hard to get one in any condition. So well played, Rich B)

Here's a 1922 i was watching in the wee small hours of this morning, the trident doesn't appear to touch the border, but britts thumb was lower down the shield, so i convinced myself that it wasn't a 22 with rev of 27, see what you think

Need to compare with a verified 1922/27 reverse:-

post-4682-026642800 1301229114_thumb.jpgpost-4682-083272600 1301229439_thumb.jpg

Still not sure. I wish I could merge the two pictures so we could see them side by side. Anybody know how to do this ?

Edited by 1949threepence

Sorry Dave, no luck this time. Notice it has border teeth rather than dots. This comparison of the shield and trident positions might help you...

post-5762-076698000 1301229747_thumb.jpg

Edited by Accumulator

P.s. I wonder how many of us check all the 1922's, 1911's, 1903's, 1908's etc. etc. on eBay? I doubt much gets through! :)

I did notice the last wave or first wave under the shield plus the border, but what was throwing me was the trident prongs didn't appear to touch the border teeth, maybe another variation, who knows

Sorry Dave, no luck this time. Notice it has border teeth rather than dots. This comparison of the shield and trident positions might help you...

post-5762-076698000 1301229747_thumb.jpg

Helps to know what you're looking for. Although why I didn't look in Freeman, I really don't know. All explained in there.

Edited by 1949threepence

yea the trident is differant, it usualy is in the beads, but it defo has beads

i always check the 1860 1863 1875 1876 1879(inc shilling) 1889 shillings 1895 1897 1908 1909 1922 and 1926

:/

found a few bargains in there :D

Yes I'd be very disapointed to miss a 1922 on ebay. One of the easiest things to spot is the 22 aligns with big teeth whereas the common 22 is to gap with small teeth.

No, that's a regular 1922. You have to be aware that :

1. The 1927 reverse is extremely rare

2. It's as evident in its own way as the ME obverse is. It's not just a matter of checking 'trident prong to teeth' - the 1927 reverse smacks you in the face.