British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
hertfordian

So that's what the new decimal UK coins are going to be like....

I'm all for a nice bland Euro ;)

We could just have blank coins in different sizes! :P

We could just have blank coins in different sizes! :P

Plenty of those on ebay already :D

I read today that there is no value imprinted on the coins. Is this true - and if so, which spotty herbert thought of that? :o

The value is imprinted onto the coin, but only in words.

Which will go down very well with all those foreigners, maybe they should have a coin identification thing at all airports. I know that foreigners already have problems.

I'm just looking forward to being able to call a 20p a lion's arse! "That'll be four lion's arses please" :lol:

When I first saw these I didn't like the fact that most of the designs were asymmetric, that is, I expected a design in the middle of the field, not hanging off the edge. I think I'm getting over that though and starting to notice little details. The coins that do have a field at the edge have no beading... just a smooth rim. On the 20p the design changes from raised to incuse at the edge of the coin... I like that. The 5p, if that background is not smooth then it will get filthy. You would think they could have found better parts of the design to include on the 20p and 1p, but then I suppose you would lose the jigsaw idea.

I wonder why they bothered... with all the stories about 1p and 2p being worthless and how cash is falling out of use. They could have just left the coins alone until something else needed to change.

Do you think we will still have commemorative 50p issues? And will the £1 stay the same for a few years?

When I first saw these I didn't like the fact that most of the designs were asymmetric, that is, I expected a design in the middle of the field, not hanging off the edge. I think I'm getting over that though and starting to notice little details. The coins that do have a field at the edge have no beading... just a smooth rim. On the 20p the design changes from raised to incuse at the edge of the coin... I like that. The 5p, if that background is not smooth then it will get filthy. You would think they could have found better parts of the design to include on the 20p and 1p, but then I suppose you would lose the jigsaw idea.

I wonder why they bothered... with all the stories about 1p and 2p being worthless and how cash is falling out of use. They could have just left the coins alone until something else needed to change.

Do you think we will still have commemorative 50p issues? And will the stay the same for a few years?

I think they will continue with commermorative 50p, don't know about the £1 whether is will change or not. The other question i have is, will the traditional design of the coins sets change so they show the jigsaw pattern or will they have a disjointed pattern with the circular arrangement, it'll be a pain for them.

I think they should have made the area that the coins covered, especially the 20p and 1p a little more of the shield, they have gone for something very uniform, rather than one here and one there in seemingly random places.