British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Just doesn't look right

link

ah yes, Richparfishing, used to be called. He bought it for £50 odd not long ago...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=200534014259

either he can't take photos for toffee or he's done something to it. Be interesting to see what it goes for. Watch list!

Edited by declanwmagee

Just doesn't look right

link

ah yes, Richparfishing, used to be called. He bought it for £50 odd not long ago...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=200534014259

either he can't take photos for toffee or he's done something to it. Be interesting to see what it goes for. Watch list!

I'd say the latter, more probably than not.

Just doesn't look right

link

No it doesn't. Either cleaned to within an inch of its life, or else made of purest aluminium. :lol: The bidders seem to agree (all 2 of them) with a current bid of £10.50!! Which is what I'd pay to have it as a place filler. But on second thoughts I will hang on to my Fair specimen. At least I know it's genuine and hasn't been cleaned.

It's probably been over-dipped which has removed the somewhat more extensive toning in the previous listing. It makes it go a very dull matt tone and has exposed what looks like a previous scraping for want of a better word.

It's probably been over-dipped which has removed the somewhat more extensive toning in the previous listing. It makes it go a very dull matt tone and has exposed what looks like a previous scraping for want of a better word.

Looks like the current eBay generation are the 'dipping' generation. I hope it doesn't become the expected 'norm'.

Looks like the current eBay generation are the 'dipping' generation. I hope it doesn't become the expected 'norm'.

I had a couple of emails from our other dipping friend Classic British Coins, but if you now look at a couple of auctions he has on he's obviously taken some friendly advice and stopped dipping his and describing them a little nearer the condition, he's actually called one EDGY would you believe.

A picture is worth a thousand words 1862 penny

I expect heavy bidding at a mere $250 start

:)

David

1860 Copper Halfpenny, probably a fake if you compare it to the picture on Colin Cooke's site.

1860 Copper Halfpenny, probably a fake if you compare it to the picture on Colin Cooke's site.

Here is the link to the one on the CC site:

1860 copper halfpenny

I don't think there is any doubt it's a fake. Worn coin, clear date like it was added yesterday (as it probably was) in numerals that look thicker than normal. Looking at the hair detail, much lustre presumably refers to the quality polishing that has most likely occured.

Have not seen it in currency format, especially a legitimate one....

1860 copper halfpenny

I don't think there is any doubt it's a fake. Worn coin, clear date like it was added yesterday (as it probably was) in numerals that look thicker than normal. Looking at the hair detail, much lustre presumably refers to the quality polishing that has most likely occured.

I have no doubt it's a fake now.

Compare it to this 1848 Halfpenny for sale by the same seller. The reverses are effectively identical, meaning it was created by the same "die."

1860 copper halfpenny

Compare it to this 1848 Halfpenny for sale by the same seller. The reverses are effectively identical, meaning it was created by the same "die."

Almost looks like the same coin but for the date. The seller has a 100 percent ebay feedback rating!

1860 copper halfpenny

Almost looks like the same coin but for the date. The seller has a 100 percent ebay feedback rating!

I know a lot of "copies" of both these dates (as well as 1851) have been up for sale on ebay in the last 1-2 years. It was only a matter of time before they would be offered up as real pieces.

Nice capture, Scott. Those 1897 HT's are hard to come by in any condition.

there's one here if anyone needs one, bit like buses :)

David

Nice capture, Scott. Those 1897 HT's are hard to come by in any condition.

there's one here if anyone needs one, bit like buses :)

David

In that grade, "possibly cleaned at some time" is somewhat irrelevant.

A picture is worth a thousand words 1862 penny

I expect heavy bidding at a mere $250 start

:)

David

"Composition: Metal" No, go on. :o

Well it's certainly coin shaped!!!

Yes, I agree. If you study Victoria,the bust looks out of proportion, especially the eyelid and the lower left truncation. It just looks 'all wrong', and I never saw a genuine 1860 without a flaw in the date numerals or an overdate.

Yes, I agree. If you study Victoria,the bust looks out of proportion, especially the eyelid and the lower left truncation. It just looks 'all wrong', and I never saw a genuine 1860 without a flaw in the date numerals or an overdate.

You are confusing the halfpenny with a penny. The halfpenny is a straight 1860, not over 59.

"Low Start Price for Such a Rarity"

link

I think that any plan to sell this effort has more holes than a piece of Swiss cheese ;)

I think to be honest the holes are of better quality than the coin is! lol

I'm no expert, but I'd say the one in the centre is EF and the rest around VF... Although I do have some nice UNC holes if anyone is interested, I'd even give a discount for bulk purchases :P lol

Guess which one you would get on the winning bid 1886 penny - uncirculated

:huh:

David

Guess which one you would get on the winning bid 1886 penny - uncirculated

:huh:

David

LOL - that's obviously operating on the principle that next to "her friend" "she" could pass for Marilyn Monroe :lol: It almost works - that Fair example looks quite attractive next to the "I was found between two tram lines" example! Just that little word "uncirculated" that's giving me that nagging feeling.