British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
mitch91

Ebay

I have bought 3 items from ebay so far for my collection. Do you use it?

I do, yes. Contrary to what some people say, if there are good pictures and feedback is to your satisfaction, it is a wonderful tool. I bought the coin below last August from a Gibraltan dealer (or dealeress, she's a lady):

893939.jpg

Incidentally, those are the pictures she took.

I do use Ebay sometimes, but it is quite hard to locate BU farthings on Ebay.

Hi Mitch,

I'm close on being an ebay a holic, but nothing compared to Chris (if you go by possitive feed back that is!)

My ebay advice is, look a lot, buy a little. If its too good to be true, then it's not, set a budget for each transaction and stick to it!

Dave

I have just purchased a 1921 half crown for 1.80. Looked in spink and saw the same coin same condition for 20pound. Not a bad find

I suspect that you probably have a thing or 2 to learn about proper grading Mitch. I'd be surprised if you end up with a high grade Half Crown for £1.80.

Have you seen my lists?

I worded wrong thats what the bloke who sold it said. I got a value of around 7.50 for it still a decent find

There are bargains on Ebay as well as VASTLY overpriced/bidded up TAT.

Ignore descriptions always view the coin yourself...both sides....I've been caught out....Grrrrr.....there are plenty of fools out there(including me)

Don't go on Ebay with the intention to buy....start using a few dealers....read up on your interests.....and just enjoy.

I've never used Ebay...

I binged on ebay just over three years ago... got caught out a couple of times, got a few refunds and learned some good lessons. I only bought cheap coins, so not much to lose. Still going strong... most of my collection has come from there.

As others have said, look at the pictures, look at the seller's feedback, look at the postage charges! If you can't grade the coin from the picture don't bid. You shouldn't trust an unknown seller's grading. Decide on your maximum bid when the price is low and stick to it... try not to think if it as "yours" and get caught up in the frenzy... whatever it is, another one will come along.

I found that good bargains often come from new sellers... but it can be risky. I have about a dozen sellers that I follow, but as they get more customers the prices get higher :)

Sometimes I sell my duplicates there... usually you can sell stuff that would be hard to dispose of otherwise. Of course, when I'm a new seller then people get bargains from me, but that's OK.

Nope never use it.

Only had around 700 transactions on eBay. :o

Got a few gems, a few dogs, and a lot of decent deals. As the others have said, enter cautiously, and examine everything carefully. Be especially aware of bad photos and shipping charges.

One peeve of mine is that you British can actually get away with charging a fee to use PayPal. (eBay USA does not allow this) I have passed on many British coins from British sellers because once I figure in the postage, and then tack on an extra 5% for PayPal fees, it just isn't a fair deal. Of course, the weakness of the US$ against the UK£ doesn't help me much, either.

I use e-bay a lot. Just self grade from the photo, set your price, and let time and other bidders determine if you get the item. Don't change your maximum once you've decided on the price. It's too easy to get 'auction fever'. If the picture is no good, then ignore. It is probably an intentional fuzzy pic! I endorse the checking of postage. It's an old scam to get the money from the postage charged>

One peeve of mine is that you British can actually get away with charging a fee to use PayPal

That's been banned now, sellers aren't allowed to do it anymore. I had a mean streak last weekend and was reporting lots of listings who charged a fee.

I like to use buy it now if it is a coin i really want.

You don't see many Charles II sixpences on ebay and not in VF.

When you do they usual sell over book. I go straight to dealers for them.

Never used Ebay, and I have no plans to use it anytime soon to buy. I am thinking of using it for sell things, but I am not sure I will.

I have heard to many bad things happening on it from someone that works for Ebay investigating dodgy deals.

I have heard to many bad things happening on it from someone that works for Ebay investigating dodgy deals.

Its not all that bad :rolleyes:

One peeve of mine is that you British can actually get away with charging a fee to use PayPal

That's been banned now, sellers aren't allowed to do it anymore. I had a mean streak last weekend and was reporting lots of listings who charged a fee.

There are still a LOT!! of sellers still claiming to charge extra for PayPal. I have been browsing ebay.uk the last few days, as I sold some coins to a fellow collector, and have a few extra $$ in my PayPal account. Figure I might as well use them now, instead of waiting.

hmmm, Chris, guess I should browse your store here, see if anything catches my fancy. btw, I sent you a PM back before the holidays mentioning that I would be looking for a 1972 Proof set. Now I have the funds, do you have one?

Edited by kuhli

Kuhli,

Yes I got the message and have not forgotten to look out, but I'm afraid one hasn't come my way. When in the UK next month I'll ask a friend of mine who may have one.