British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Emperor Oli

Bah

I wish I could permit myself to blatantly swear in my own forum!

That is absolutely awful, the most awful thing of 2005 so far (and quite likely of the whole of 2005). Will Coincraft stop at nothing in producing stupid novelty items that no true coin collector would ever want to own.

The fact thay have the word 'Coin' in their name surely must go against the trade descriptions act, because a lot of what they sell is hyped up shit (hypedupshitcraft?). Novelty items designed to somehow fool people with an IQ of less than 20 into believing any of it is actually remotely collectable!

And the mintage is limited to 1,500. How the $@?! they find 15 people to actually want to take that into their home is beyond me. Is the whole world bloody mad.

If any of you forumees EVER notice any of that kind of tosh on my website you have permission to shoot me. And if I ever get wind that any of you have a Somalian Cromwell novelty item, I'll shoot you!

Can I get sued for any of that?

Don't think so. I think I'll push you over the edge with this (worst portrait I've seen for a while), and this.

Oh I'm enjoying unearthing all this crap

linky

The Gothic and Elizabeth I coins are basically along the same awful theme as the Cromwell.

The Duke and Duchess coin is completely unrecognisable. Did the Somali mint get Stevie Wonder to engrave it?

Hmm... :blink: ...typical of the mint to issue coins that were around over 400 years ago...!

It is funny though, the rubbish that they come up with!

...its worrying!

<_< Horses for courses? Perhaps it will keep the idiots away from legitimate collecting and stop pushing some coins way out of their worth? :unsure:

Something that I don't seem to get is, what does the royal family or British history have to do with Somalia?

Probably they paid a goverment official to give them the permit to put Somalia in the "coins", I want to see someone trying to spend those, so call, coins, in Somalia...

Another thing, if you are going to charge £60 for a piece of gold, please make it better than 9 ct!

Something that I don't seem to get is, what does the royal family or British history have to do with Somalia?

Nothing....Unless it was once part of a colony. My geography isn't fab, but I don't suppose Somalia is the richest country in the world, and I expect they love the fact that Coincraft must of paid them something for the 'rights'.

The only winner in this particular tragedy for numismatics is Somalia, and good luck to them!

.typical of the mint to issue coins that were around over 400 years ago

This isn't the British Royal Mint, it's the Somalian Mint. To Chris, CIA World Factbook. GDP per capita is a paltry $500.

edit: It looks like it was possibly an Italian colony, I think the Italians landed there when they invaded Abysinnia.

Edited by Emperor Oli

edit: It looks like it was possibly an Italian colony, I think the Italians landed there when they invaded Abysinnia.

You are half right. Italian Somaliland (southern Somalia) was united with British Somaliland (northern Somalia) to form the nation of Somalia in 1960. In the 1990's north Somalia declared itself the independent Republic of Somaliland, although it is not recognized by anyone.

By issuing coins with British rulers, the official government of Somalia may be trying to win more influence with the outside world to help control the break-away republic in the north. Get the British to support Somalia, and the former British colony of Somaliland looses leverage in it's battle for freedom.

Eww!

This is horrible!

!

...one side is ruined...and it seems that they were too lasy to do the obverse!

Better to be lazy than have the obverse looking crap too...

Enamelling is usually done just on one side.

Enamelling is usually done just on one side.

Isn't that only if it is attached to a mount?

No.

I don't mind the odd enammelled coin, but you will note that one is colourised, and i don't think colourised and enammelled are the same thing.