British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Mongo

Copper value of decimal 2p is over 5p?

Is this true for the coppers made before 1992? I just read it on the net, what do you think they will be worth in 50 years time?.. I might start a copper jar! That is a nice mark up :blink:

Really wouldn't surprise me (though I'm not sure if the 5p figure is correct). A copper (up until 1982 when they produced both the 95% copper penny and the modern mostly zinc penny produced until today) US penny is worth about 2.2 cents. And there are people who have built sorters to automatically sort between the worthless zinc cents and the copper pennies. The main problem with it in the US is you can't legally melt down the pennies so you have to sell it to people who believe the melt ban will be lifted meaning that you really only get 1.5 cents or so per copper penny if you can find a buyer. Not sure what the rules are with British coins, but if you can find a buyer and an easy way to sort them I say go for it, just like the generation before culled out silver coins from circulation, today people can cull copper coins.

In the US finding copper (and silver) coins usually works like this:

1) Buy a box of coins ($25 pennies, $100 nickels, $250 dimes, $500 quarters, $500 halves)

2) Unwrap and sort the coins

3) Take the rejects back to a different bank, dump them in a coin counter (or re-roll)

4) Get cash for those coins

5) Go back to step 1

I'm not sure what the banking infrastructure looks like in the UK, but so long as you can do it and find a buyer, it might be a good way to make some extra cash for hobbies.

Not sure what the rules are with British coins, but if you can find a buyer and an easy way to sort them I say go for it, just like the generation before culled out silver coins from circulation, today people can cull copper coins.

Same law as in the States - you can't melt coins that are or have been currency (though for pre-1816 it doesn't apply). It's not policed very thoughly though as far as I can tell. Witness the number of dealers advertising to buy pre-47 and pre-20 silver coins.

Not sure what the rules are with British coins, but if you can find a buyer and an easy way to sort them I say go for it, just like the generation before culled out silver coins from circulation, today people can cull copper coins.

Same law as in the States - you can't melt coins that are or have been currency (though for pre-1816 it doesn't apply). It's not policed very thoughly though as far as I can tell. Witness the number of dealers advertising to buy pre-47 and pre-20 silver coins.

Hm, that's interesting. Over here its legal to melt anything other than nickels and pennies, though it isn't really worth it to melt silver coins with the large investment demand for the coins themselves, we haven't gotten the "pure silver" craze of what happened when the Hunt Brothers tried to corner the silver market, "junk" silver is considered to be pure enough for most investors.

Exactly ~ and in fairness, it would be exceedingly difficult to police.

Was I dreaming, or was something posted on here a few months ago about the 1864 penny being rumoured to have gold in it ?

Was I dreaming, or was something posted on here a few months ago about the 1864 penny being rumoured to have gold in it ?

Is that "rumoured" as in "there's rumoured to be both a B52 bomber and a red London bus on the moon"? :D Now watch me look really silly when someone posts that yes, there really was such a rumour :rolleyes:

and I used to slip in the sport in the vast bulk of the Times...todays nipple count is :D

Is that "rumoured" as in "there's rumoured to be both a B52 bomber and a red London bus on the moon"? :D Now watch me look really silly when someone posts that yes, there really was such a rumour :rolleyes: