British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
thedigger

Is this coin AMERICAN?

Here we have a coin, silver ( in colour) with the date of 1901.

The coin in size i would say is just under a British 10 pence piece approx.

On the front i can just make out what looks to be a ladies face, surrounded by stars, underneath is dated 1901

On the reare i think its written around the coin United States of America, i can see the word CENT, in the middle of the rear seems to be a letter V surrounded by a wreath of some sort?

Could someone clear this up for me please and as normal i would like to know if there is any value to this coin and what grading would you say this is in?

cheers all :)

post-5018-1262701769_thumb.jpg

post-5018-1262701781_thumb.jpg

Yes, it's American. A V cent (5 cent). Very worn and without looking in a book I'm 99% sure it's very low value indeed. The Americans call those Nickels I believe and they contain no silver.

Chris is correct.

The coin is a USA V-Nickle. The 1901 is one of the most common of the series. You can pick them up (1901) at a coin show for .50 to $1.00. If you have a 1913, or 1912-S it is definately another matter though. There is going to be a 1913 (there are only five of them) that will come up for auction in the very near future. It is expected to bring between 3 and 5 million dollars!

yea, crazy money lol

yea thats about the average circulated grade for one of those.

Yes, it's American. A V cent (5 cent). Very worn and without looking in a book I'm 99% sure it's very low value indeed. The Americans call those Nickels I believe and they contain no silver.

:( And there was me thinking oh i havent seen a coin like that yet, it must be silver.

Yea i understand that the coin is in very bad condition and not worth anything, i can see this going onto that scrap pile which is getting bigger by the day!

RCL35 cheers for the good news on the 1913 :D

cheers

i can see this going onto that scrap pile which is getting bigger by the day!

I will give my usual response to this. Don't throw them out as being worthless, just find an eight year old and give the whole pile to them. They love that sort of thing and you might just start a lifelong interest.

i can see this going onto that scrap pile which is getting bigger by the day!

I will give my usual response to this. Don't throw them out as being worthless, just find an eight year old and give the whole pile to them. They love that sort of thing and you might just start a lifelong interest.

I would not say it is worthless or scrap. Mintage of this 1901 Liberty Head Nickel (sometimes called a V Nickel) is 26,478,228. Series was minted from 1883 to 1913.

As someone else stated, the 1913 is the rarest. Normal issues which are worth a bit are the 1912-S, 1885, 1886.

Another interesting coin in this series are the two versions of the 1883. One with the word cents on it and first release of it which did not have the word cents on it. Some people gold plated these and passed them off as 5 dollars.

If you decide you don't want the coin, let me know.

Ken