British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
josie

Question: 2 pence, 1 & 2 euro cent, 1 cent USA

Why is that there is a rumor or news that copper plated cents will be change or pull out in circulation, In the past ,there is a rumor that 1 & 2 cents in euro will be pull out because most of them will be place in the jug or bottle and not used in circulation,adding all that is minted it is a large sum of money not being used in circulation,There is also an article that US one cent will be also pull out in circulation, and now I saw a page that UK 2 pence and 1 penny will be change for thier face value or making one is more than a face value of the coin, Is this mean infation,If they will be pull out in circulation or change thier metal content this mean that acquiring copper or mining one is expensive or thier is a shortage of metal for coin,or making a coin now is not thier face value,considering that those 3 lowest denomination of the coin is use in circulation in develope or first world countries.

The actual bronze coins are worth more than face value and some collectors and speculators are pulling them out of circulation. However the most recent examples of all the coins you listed are now plated base metals, either steel or zinc. They are nominally worth more than face value, but not much. The others are not worth enough yet that they are actually worth the expense of melting them.

I myself happen to buy boxes of cents which contain 2.500 coins, I keep all the pre-1982's which are bronze, but my main search is for pre-1965 Canadian, and pre-1959 USA cents all of which had slightly different designs. Recently I have gotten USA cents dated as early as 1919, and Canadian cents as early as 1940. I have also gotten a 2 Eurocent from Germany, a plastic play money cent and several scarcer mintmarks such as S for San Francisco.

Unfortunately coin searches in the UK cannot be so exciting with the demise of the larger sized 5p and 10p coins which effectively removed the possibility of getting older shilling and florin coins including the .500 fine examples in your change. I do hear occasionally of people finding farthings in place of a 1p coin though.

Thank you scottishmoney,meaning to say if a denomination is pull out from the circulation they will going to be melted,what they will going to do with the metal they melted?is the denomination or a coin will be change to other metal or it will be permanntly out in circulation like the lincoln cent it bare the name of one prominient figure in USA,or his image will pass to the next higher coin or denomination? does lincoln start at the beginning in 1 cent or he is placed in much more higher denomination in the past,Ive noticed that a prominient figure of one country is place on its first or lowest denomination, what will happen if they remove the coin fron circulation.

The cent probably should have been eliminated about 10 years ago. These are useless coins with their real value only being about 1/10th of what they were valued at back 35-40 years ago due to inflation. Nowadays the only things you can find for a cent are loss leaders, like the coin operated rocking horses in supermarkets to appease the 2 yr old after a shopping trip. No gumball machine takes anything less than 25¢ now. Dimes are basically the new cents. Nickles or 5¢ coins are pretty useless. All these small coins exist more for tax reasons than anything else.

I think that in the UK the 5p should be the smallest denomination, and that it should be re-named One Shilling, so we can have Pounds, Shillings and (just on paper) decimal pence!

Thank you scottishmoney,those things you mentioned they are new to me, inflation gone high since several years ago but the value of a pence is worth more than they are and making one is expensive Im having a hard time understabding the value of cent, since you mentioned that you cannot buy anything else on a cents or a pence they are worthless, some brand them as worthless coin, since the sum of cents and pence is still large sum of money pulling them out will have a big effect on common people as Chris mentioned that 5 pence should be a lowest denomination as I understand UK is one of the highest cost of living how much more the effect of that in prices and way of living.more likely the figure who is in the lowest denomination will be also the things in the past as I observe in some countries.