British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
big jar of wasps

Book?

I recently picked up a copy of this book, thinking that it wuldo be a handy reference, as a beginner.

On a whole it seems to cover just about every gold coin ever minted and is well worth getting hold of, however, one thing that I have noticed about it, is that it DOESN`T cover the Dutch Guilder? It has the Netherlands Antilles, and various other Dutch Colonies, but nothing about the home land. On page 899 according to the index is Holland, however, on this page if just gives the title Holland in bold print but then moves on to the East India Company.

Has anyone got a copy of this book, and am I missing something or is it true that they`ve over looked the Low Lands?

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i151/sil...late/001aaa.jpg

post-318-1149327262_thumb.jpg

I haven't got the book but thought about ordering the newer version. The price seems a bit steep, but I suppose when one compares it with Peck it's a bargain.

Yes it is very expensive. I got my copy on Ebay, for a lot cheaper than its listing price, so I can`t really complain. As I say my only negative thing about it, is the fact that the authors have over looked Holland for some reason? Other than that its a very useful book to have.

Dutch Gold Coins

Brief Dutch History

Holland borders the North Sea, Germany and Belgium. It was part of the Empire of Charlemagne in the 8th and 9th centuries, after which it came under the control of Burgundy, the Austrian Hapsburg Empire, Spain, France and Germany. The United Netherlands Republic was formed in 1581, and as such the Netherlands became a great sea-power in the 17th century. This was ended in 1795 when Napoleonic France formed the Batavian Republic. In 1813, the french were expelled, and a United Netherlands re-emerged until Belgium withdrew in 1830. Holland was occupied by Germany form 1940 to 1945.

At various times in its history The Netherlands consisted of a number of states or provinces with varying degrees of independence,

Dutch Gold Coins

Because of its long history, The Netherlands has issued a large variety of different gold coins, of different weight and sizes. Some coins have more than one different name. For example guilders are called gulden or florins, which can cause confusion, indeed even the country has more than one name, being Holland or The Netherlands to English speakers but Der Nederlanden to the Dutch. Amongst the variety of Dutch coin names are ducats, florins, florins d'or, duits, stuivers, cavaliers, gulden or guilders, and ducatons. Most of these have been issued in multiple and fractional versions.

Dutch Gold Coin Types

We intend to give each of the Netherlands gold coin types its own page eventually. For now we have created separate pages for:-

1875 Willem III 10 Guilders

1876 to 1889 Willem III 10 Guilders

1911 to 1917 Wilhelmina 10 Guilders

1925 to 1933 Wilhelmina 10 Guilders

A quick search of the net, cam up with the above information. Thought it might be of interest to someone who has encountered the same problem as me regarding the `World Gold Coins` book.

post-318-1149332070_thumb.jpg

Test.jpg

I think I've mentioned this one before, but it just goes to show that coin books often leave a lot to be desired! :(

This one has eliminated Canada altogether! :huh: I shouldn't think it would sell very well there. :lol:

Edited by Geordie582

Cheers Geordie!!!!!! I wonder how they managed to do that? But going back to the Gold Coins book, they`ve covered the most bizarre places i.e Gurk, never heard to the place, and yet The Netherlands which had a thriving gold coin production, is missed out.......curious?

post-318-1149413302_thumb.jpg