Jump to content
The British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

Recommended Posts

Posted

Browsing eBay listings the other day I noticed a 1914 penny with the 4 seemingly well to the left of its usual position. Naturally I bought it; it's the lower of the coins in this picture:

Penny1914a.thumb.jpg.463c07aedd85577282bfca7642fb01c6.jpg

The numerals look slightly higher on the regular coin, and I'm wondering if the exergue is a touch higher as well. Better examples would be needed to be sure. I don't see any doubt over the position of the 4, however.

I couldn't find a similar example currently listed on eBay, but there was one where the upright of the 4 points directly to the tooth, likely due to an anticlockwise rotation of the 4 rather than a lateral movement. It's in the post!

 

Posted

I now have three different cases. The middle example seems to represent the normal type:

P1914d3.thumb.JPG.8cea0f3b65fcc717bdd92022a0baf793.JPG

The bit of raised metal to the left of the 1 in the bottom coin is just a scrape.

Conventional wisdom seems to be that these sort of wanderings largely ceased after 1907. I can't be the only person who's ever looked at 1914 pennies.

Posted (edited)

Definitely some date-widths (or differing tooth numbers on the entire obverse itself) going on there…clear differences imho! One caveat, however, my knowledge is seriously lacking in this area!

Narrow-date top, wide-date bottom? Or is that too hopeful, too exciting?

Edited by Coinery

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...