British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

silly change trivia.

Here in the US, with change being the .01,.05,.10,.25,.50, it is theoretically possible to have $1.19 in change, without being able to give change for $1.00 (3x.25;4x.10;4x.01) I was just thinking about it, and with the UK change being .01,.02,.05,.10,.20,.50, it is possible to have £1.43 in change, without being able to give change for £1.00 (1x.50;4x.20;1x.05;4x.02). Or can anyone think of a higher amount?? An the catch is, it has to be exactly £1.00 in change.

You've totally lost me... run that one past me again in more simple terms...

I see numbers and + signs and my brain shuts down. Maths was not my strong point. (Actually it was the subject i struggled with the most)

Here in the US, with change being the .01,.05,.10,.25,.50, it is theoretically possible to have $1.19 in change, without being able to give change for $1.00 (3x.25;4x.10;4x.01) I was just thinking about it, and with the UK change being .01,.02,.05,.10,.20,.50, it is possible to have £1.43 in change, without being able to give change for £1.00 (1x.50;4x.20;1x.05;4x.02). Or can anyone think of a higher amount?? An the catch is, it has to be exactly £1.00 in change.

How intriguing! I'd never realised that, not that I'd paid much attention to it to begin with ;)

Pass the buck and give them a fiver

You've totally lost me... run that one past me again in more simple terms...

I see numbers and + signs and my brain shuts down. Maths was not my strong point. (Actually it was the subject i struggled with the most)

simple terms:

I need change for a £1 coin. (maybe I want to get something out of a vending machine that doesn't take £1 coins)

you have a pocket full of change.

1 - 50p piece

4 - 20p pieces

1 - 5p piece

4 - 2p pieces

Add that up, you have £1.43 in change, but can't give me exactly £1.00 in change.

I'd just give you £1.10 and you can owe me the ten pence.

Or i'd give you ninety five pence and owe you five.

How about I just give you 90p and call it even? :lol: