British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
The Coin Realm

Richard II? Henry IV Penny? Hammered Identification

Hello Everyone!

I hope you are doing well and enjoying the festive season. I won the bid for this nice little hammered penny on ebay for £5, as I liked the look of it. It doesn't look like an Edward to me from what I know. I have been studying hammered coins for quite a bit now and the mark on the kings breast got me interested. Looks like it could be a worn cross from Richard II's pennies or perhaps the annulet/pellet from Henry IV's Light Coinage. Or perhaps just another type. Either way, might be an exciting coin but I would really appreciate if anyone could help me ID it. The part of the legend with the king's name is clipped or worn away making it more tricky to confirm. It is a York Mint Penny from what I can see. Does anyone recognise any other details? Dies? Bust? Any info would be amazing and thank you all in advance.

Kindest Regards

20231214_182745-EDIT.jpg

20231214_182805-EDIT.jpg

Edited by The Coin Realm

I no longer have the material to pin these things down, but if anyone collects in this area they’ll recognise it in an instant, there’s enough to go on, especially with that crude open crown.

I’ll be interested to see what pops up, but the general feel of the bust makes it Richard all over to me? I could easily be two monarchs out, though, quite easily, maybe three! :) 

• Like 1

Haha, thank you for your reply, very appreciated. Yes, the more I look at it, I do think it is a Richard II York Mint Penny which would be really nice. However I am still really keen for someone to pin it down, because as you said, I may also be two or three monarchs out! 😅

• Like 1

If you’d been on here 7 years ago there would’ve been four or five knowledgeable people all over your post…there’s probably only one or, if you’re extremely lucky, two people who could even contribute today!
Good luck, it’s a decent post!

• Like 1

I'd say Richard II York early style type 1 with London dies. This based on the obverse having a lis on the breast and wide hair, with the reverse having a saltire before CIVI and the pellets in angles not being joined to make trefoils. Spink 1690.

• Like 3