British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Cliff

Unusual Charles I Halfcrown

Recently bought as S.2775.

I have as S.2773, Bull 292b/23.

Bull comments Rev "Colons, most unusual".  Are there many about? 

Bull 292b 23 Obv.jpg

Bull 292b 23 Rev two colons.jpg

No idea as I haven't looked, but presumably only this reverse die or maybe an unknown second one. It's a die match to the one in Bull once you have sorted out the double striking.

As a tun 3a1 variety it's bound to be rare as there are huge numbers of single stop dies with only a handful of 4 pellet stop dies to add. I would have thought the survival rates would be similar to other die pairs unless there were indications of a rapid disintegration (or a mint fresh hoard came to light), but don't know what that number is.

There were examples in the North Yorks Moors and Tooze collections in DNW's archives.

Edited by Rob

Thanks for the response Rob and the Noonan's/North Yorkshire Moors collection reference.  They had some fantastic pieces in their 20 January 2020 auction.  Their Lot 899 (Bull 292b/23) just being one of many different coins.

Cliff