British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
MACKSILKY.

1864 farthing, possible new die combination?

Hi all, can anyone tell me if this farthing is a new die combination. It appears reverse 2 (serif on 4 in date). Obverse b (1.5 stops after f:d:

Thanks james.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I assume you're using Freeman die names and mean obverse 2 and reverse B?

It's a bit hard to make out the fine details in the photo but the waviness of the hair suggests it is obverse 3.

James is using the original numbering system I used on my website, but it created confusion, hence why it is in the transition of being changed. @Mr T you are correct that in Freeman numbers it would be Obverse 3.

It would be a combination I have not yet recorded, but I would need better images of the legend on the Obverse to be certain and include it.

• Like 2

@MACKSILKY. you can email them directly to me if you prefer

• Like 1

Thanks colin, i'll just post the scans on the forum it may help other members. Can you tell me is there much difference regarding the legends on both obverses?

cheers james.

Edited by MACKSILKY.
Spelling mistake

21 hours ago, Colin G. said:

James is using the original numbering system I used on my website, but it created confusion, hence why it is in the transition of being changed. @Mr T you are correct that in Freeman numbers it would be Obverse 3.

It would be a combination I have not yet recorded, but I would need better images of the legend on the Obverse to be certain and include it.

Oh right - I've used your site before but didn't notice the divergence. Thanks!

Depends on which reign you are looking at, the Victoria Bunhead section is the one that definitely outstanding.

• Like 1

The best i can do, a couple of scans of the legend on obverse. Hope they are a bit clearer.

thanks james.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg