All Activity
- Past hour
-
Halfpenny ID check
DrLarry replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
Thanks people I'm leaving the forum now Thanks for your help in the past . -
Halfpenny ID check
DrLarry replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
-
Halfpenny ID check
DrLarry replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
Here you go . Call them whatever you want really they are four sided polygon square ; rhombus; lozenge; diamond .....I'm sure there is some numismatic specific term - Today
-
Halfpenny ID check
DrLarry replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
Yeah you do that well done. -
a 1887 Victorian Penny.... as you may know.. I'm not really a fan of Copper Penny's , however they did over the years end up in the box I'm working through, this one although a common date seem to be quite a clean one, dare I venture to mention possibly uncirculated?? opinion's welcome...👍 being a Coronation date I can imagine loads are around in VGC being kept as a "Ooooooooooh this will be worth loads in years to come!?!" so not expecting a huge value on it..... 🤔
-
Halfpenny ID check
absence of uniformity replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
Im going to stop there at 4/40. -
Halfpenny ID check
absence of uniformity replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
As sample size grows the numbers are coming down 4 of 36 now. -
Halfpenny ID check
DrLarry replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
I'll perhaps image them under the microscope for you -
Halfpenny ID check
absence of uniformity replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
-
Ukstu started following Halfpenny ID check
-
Halfpenny ID check
Ukstu replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
Would the terminology be lozenge shaped? They look lozenge rather than square. Stu. - Yesterday
-
Halfpenny ID check
DrLarry replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
Yes but sample analysis is a little more complicated in the real world. As I say time will tell how many will show themselves at least people like you now know what to look for. Yes they are a lot more complicated and there are some extremely rare die pairings. I think i have all the known varieties now including all the rare errors but my interest " expertise" is in the 1860 61 and 62 half pennies and more recently the 73 and 74s . It has taken 10 years to collect them all. Sure I have most of the pennies overdates and errors perhaps the only left to find is the VIGTORIA. For me it's the discovery and the hunt and increasing the knowledge as the records are lost, successive generations of collectors add to the collective knowledge. The biggest problem going forward is that we must encourage new collectors and be enthusiastic about new knowledge. It's an obligation imo. -
Halfpenny ID check
absence of uniformity replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
My analysis was purely based on numbers presented to me by the tiny short sample. I didnt purchase anything. I do actively look for documented/published types, and keep my eye out for anything out the ordinary although I dont collect halfpennies I have gathered a fair few of the overdates and found a few rarer pairings, I find the series alot more complicated than pennies and I dont get the same thrill. I think because the HP's lack the popularity of the Penny Im not so driven to invest the time to search. -
Halfpenny ID check
DrLarry replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
I suspect time will tell. Im not sure i would agree with you statistical analysis but who am I but a stupid scientist who collects bits of old metal. Before today they were very rare because no one had ever noticed. In my opinion having looked at about 1000 1865 pennies on ebay alone I have found 4. DID you purchase the ones you spotted? -
Halfpenny ID check
absence of uniformity replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
A quick small random sample of 12 coins, and instantly find 3 examples, I think itis fair to assume the surviving population is actually quite high. A 25% frequency out of such a small sample suggests this wasnt a rare occurrence from a single pair of die imo which is not worth much 😉 -
Halfpenny ID check
DrLarry replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
I suppose there will always be an initial flurry once the information is known. The reason for discussing it is to try to estimate the numbers to work out the rarity -
Halfpenny ID check
DrLarry replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
That's good so we know there are 6 then so far. It took me 3 years to find them on ebay but I never think to look in other places for any coins except ebay. -
Halfpenny ID check
absence of uniformity replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
-
Halfpenny ID check
DrLarry replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
They are a lot more obvious in high grades because I think most people would not notice the square edges on worn coins . -
Halfpenny ID check
DrLarry replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
Yes thats one of mine i like putting things on ebay to get people to look at the site if im trying to raise money for the charity -
Halfpenny ID check
absence of uniformity replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
-
Hello and Many thanks... it is a shame that its rubbed, it was the triangle lead me to Ireland the solid long cross took me to thinking Edward I, I can make out CIVI but I'm still way off with the shape of the fonts but its a learning curve 👍
-
Halfpenny ID check
absence of uniformity replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
No i just started looking at coins online and the 3rd coin I looked at is this example. https://dorsetcoincompany.co.uk/product/1865-bronze-halfpenny-victoria-young-head/ -
Halfpenny ID check
DrLarry replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
Thanks -
Halfpenny ID check
DrLarry replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries
Is this in your own collection? -
Halfpenny ID check
absence of uniformity replied to mrbadexample's topic in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries