British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
declanwmagee

1799 farthing varieties

Evening all

8221.jpg

I had this one on sale as a three berry, but I just had a nice phone call from a nice person who advised me that it was the very much rarer 4 berry and I really ought to take it off pronto before someone buys it at a 3 berry price.

The 4 berry example in the Oxford Collection has the same die clash at 8 o'clock, but that's no guide necessarily.

Opinions?

There's certainly a chance, on a cursory glance! Will dig out peck!

Edit: by that I mean there's a blob in the right place!

Edited by Coinery

Harrumph. I've been back several hours, you know...

On my phone, but it definitely looks like the 4 berries to me. It is a weird variety, because it is not a new design, but a berry that has been recut in a slightly different position. Surprises me that Peck included this one as a portrait type. There will be a die crack through the 7 in the date and a flaw (set of cracks) behind the bust. It is a nice example

Well, that's two strokes of luck today - firstly I bought this as a 3 berry for £50, from someone who really ought to have known, and secondly, there was a Monty Python round in the pub quiz this evening.

Must be some karma coming my way. :)

Ooh blimey, I'll see if I can remember some...

What was the original working title of the Flying Circus?

Who was the great magician who helped the knights on the quest for the Holy Grail?

Which olympic event ended with the contestants shooting themselves?

What was the cheese shop uncontaminated with?

What animal did the knights construct in imitation of the Trojan Horse?

Complete the following: "Real emetic fans will also go for a Hobart Muddy, and a prize winning Cuivre Reserve Château Bottled Nuit San Wogga Wogga, which has a bouquet like an...."

Excellent, off the bat I can only take a stab at 1 (Cheese), 4 (cheese), 6 (an Aboriginee's armpit)??

Well for Q1 I said "Owl Stretching Time", as I'm sure I remember that from reading Palin's diaries recently, but apparently it's "It's..."

4 and 6 are quite correct.

Another I just remembered - easy one:

Who are Cardinals Ximenez, Biggles, and Fang better known as?

I'm sure there were a few more - I think a round is ten questions. We won the round but lost the match. Away.

Ah yes, an easy 1, the Spanish wotsits, is it harder to play away in a quiz?

I'll throw another one in just for the craic, who claimed to have a theory about the brontosaurus? (spelling all-important!)

Edited by Paulus

Harrumph. I've been back several hours, you know...

A welcome revival Frankenstein! :)

Sorry, Declan, had a surprise visit, and never got a chance to dig the box out! looks like you have your answer now anyway! Well done!

I'll throw another one in just for the craic, who claimed to have a theory about the brontosaurus? (spelling all-important!)

Well, you know, they're in their pub, we're all driving so I had to make a pint of Guinness last 2 hours, the roar of the home crowd, etc etc...

Anne Elk (Miss)

And what it is too.

Sorry, Declan, had a surprise visit, and never got a chance to dig the box out! looks like you have your answer now anyway! Well done!

Cheers Stuart! How's life on the Ocean Wave?

Well, you know, they're in their pub, we're all driving so I had to make a pint of Guinness last 2 hours, the roar of the home crowd, etc etc...

Anne Elk (Miss)

And what it is too.

Full marks! :)

And Now...

No. 3

The Larch

THE LARCH

post-4737-0-63343000-1413807789_thumb.jp

And now...

... and now for a massage from the Swedish prime minister

How much does a licence for a fruit bat cost from the man from the Ministry of Housinge? Spelt like that on the van.

Praline Next we have number four, 'Crunchy Frog'.

Milton Ah, yes.

Praline Am I right in thinking there's a real frog in here?

Milton Yes. A little one.

Praline What sort of frog?

Milton A dead frog.

Praline Is it cooked?

Milton No.

Praline What, a raw frog?

Superintendent Parrot looks increasingly queasy.

Milton We use only the finest baby frogs, dew-picked and flown from Iraq, cleansed in the finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope, and lovingly frosted with glucose.

Praline That's as may be, but it's still a frog!

Milton What else?

Praline Well don't you even take the bones out?

Milton If we took the bones out it wouldn't be crunchy would it?

Praline Superintendent Parrot ate one of those.

Parrot Excuse me a moment. (exits hurriedly)

Praline Well, the Superintendent thought it was an almond whirl. People won't expect there to be a frog in there. They're bound to think it's some sort of mock frog.

Milton (insulted) Mock frog? We use no artificial preservatives or additives of any kind!

Praline Nevertheless, I must warn you that in future you should delete the words 'crunchy frog', and replace them with the legend, 'crunchy raw unboned real dead frog' if you want to avoid prosecution.

Edited by Peckris