British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

88tinman

Wanted 1938 Farthing £50

No hammer and chisel for me - this is the tool of choice. It nibbles away the seal around the edge. The only one it has difficulty with is the early fat NGC holder. CGS come apart like a dream, followed by PCGS, then NGC in order of ease.

I think it's called a 'tile nibbler'. Get it for a couple of quid or so from any tile shop, B & Q etc.

No, it's not a tile nibbler. You need a sharp pair of edges on the jaws to get through the plastic. It's a heavy duty cross cutter.

No, it's not a tile nibbler. You need a sharp pair of edges on the jaws to get through the plastic. It's a heavy duty cross cutter.

I stand corrected.

This has all gone very very serious ... all it was my young son who collects farthings mostly wrens, hes only 9 was looking for a nice 38 i thought it would be a nice idea to get him a nice gradded one ... ive checked there website, theres been a total of 5-6 submitted 1938 wrens 2/85's and the rest 82's & 80's and yes theres no gradded one in stock.

Thanks again Michael

It's good to know there are kids out there still sufficiently unwelded to iPods and computers to take an interest in coins (and even more so now that coins are busily supplanting stamps as a hobby). However, I really would doubt very very much that a kid of of that age would be particularly concerned by CGS 85 - 88 grades. One in Unc with some lustre on it, or even NBU, would see him well satisfied I would think. Well, in my opinion anyway.

Hey I've got like 5 of them how about ... 250 quid for them! :D

Makes me wish I did though ;)

Ah you've fallen into the classic trap! ONE bidder is offering £50 for ONE example. Your remaining 4 would be ... surplus. You'd end up with around £70 in total. :D

Hey I've got like 5 of them how about ... 250 quid for them! :D

Makes me wish I did though ;)

Ah you've fallen into the classic trap! ONE bidder is offering £50 for ONE example. Your remaining 4 would be ... surplus. You'd end up with around £70 in total. :D

Yes, this trap is made ​​often in a Bulgarian Auction:

Someone sells 2 leva 1910 at UNC for 100 BGN, while in one numismatic forum new user wrote that buys urgently 2 leva 1910 for 150 BGN in UNC!

(Of course, the coin which is available for 100 BGN is not at UNC - this is the big problem)

Incidentally, does NGC office somewhere in the UK or you grade coins only in UK standard?