British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest joanne bray

american coins

Guest joanne bray

hi there i have a american large penny made in 1838 and i was just wondering if anyone knew its value. if anyone has any idea please could u email me on. joanne_bray@talk21.com

:D Don't email her, reply in here and make her jolly well come back and look! Who does she think we are, a private coin valuation service! It's a discussion forum for heavens sake ;)

Value is around £11.00 for an 1838 Cent in fine condition, much lower if it's lower than good, and much higher if it reaches EF.

its worth .......

G-4=$14

VG-8=$19

F-12=$25

VF-20=$40

EF-40=$90

MS-60=$275

heres how to tell what condition it falls under.....

G-4 Good- considerably worn. LIBERTY readable

VG-8 Very Good- Hairlines smooth but visible, outline of ear clearly defined

F-12 Fine- Hairlines at top of head and behind ear worn but visible. braid over brow plain, ear clear.

VF-20 Very Fine- All details more sharp. Hair over brow show only slight wear

EF Extremly Fine- Hair above ear detailed, but slightly worn

MS-60 Uncirculated- typical brown to red surface. No trace of wear.

I emailed Joanne Bray telling her that Sam had posted an answer to her question, so we'll see if she takes up the invitation to come back.

Guest Guest

yes i got the reply thank u edward. but i dont who u think u bloody are chris. i asked for someone to email me coz im due to have a baby this week and i get my emails sent to my phone as well as my computer. so excuse me if i couldnt manage to get on the bloody internet to have a look. SOME PPL MUST JUST GO OUT THERE WAY TO B RUDE.

Get a sense of humour and notice the smiley faces Ms Bray!

Forgive me for coming over a little ratty, it can sometimes be tiresome when some slightly rude people (although, not yourself included) demand to know about their coins all day, every day. I may have been mistaken and automatically put you in the catagory too.

Best wishes to you and the baby.

be careful in future chris...

and, yes, best wishes to you and the baby :)

yes i got the reply thank u edward. but i dont who u think u bloody are chris. i asked for someone to email me coz im due to have a baby this week and i get my emails sent to my phone as well as my computer. so excuse me if i couldnt manage to get on the bloody internet to have a look. SOME PPL MUST JUST GO OUT THERE WAY TO B RUDE.

Well, isn't that nice? Chris is a very nice bloke, and he started this forum so that people could actually use it as a forum, not tell us to email you, what do you think this place is mate? Secondly, you are the one being rude, not Chris, if he starts a forum it should be used properly! Chris answered your question, so maybe you could thank him for it, rather than swearing at him! My advice to you is get a life and a sense of humour, and stop being such a sensitive arse!

Edited by william

Steady on William!

Harsh words there, but thanks for the defence. In your eyes I can do no wrong....Hmmm, if only you had more money to spend with me! ;) (Joke)

Now who's being rude :rolleyes:

What is this WW3? :D

:D Don't email her, reply in here and make her jolly well come back and look! Who does she think we are, a private coin valuation service! It's a discussion forum for heavens sake ;)

ummm, Chris, speaking of coin valuation services, what is the status of www.coinvaluation.com?? Just curious. I never saw it before you took it down, but it looks like you had a decent site with it.

Have you taken coin valuation down? Why did you do that?

Well, I changed the hosting arrangement and at the same time wanted to give it a revamp (mainly to make it more difficult to get a free valuation, because they were such a drain on resources).

It's been down a couple of weeks, and it's so nice to have peace and quiet on that side of things! I expect I'll put it up again soon, but I don't think I have the time to provide a free service anymore.

It doesn't matter really because people can come on here and post questions rather than bother Chris 24-7.

(400th post :P )

Edited by Penny Master

While trying hard not to step into the pile that Chris and Joanne have made on the floor, I would like to note that US and British coins are NOT graded the same. If you live in the US, EF can be a far different thing than it is in the UK.

I think I got a little on my shoe!:(

Chris' bark is worse than his bite, it's just Oli you have to watch out for... ;)

Oli's ok really, he just gets a bit cagy from time to time. ;)