British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

simon

A Broad of Charles I ?

By pure chance I stumbled over the following coin:

Has anyone some more information about this coin because I could not find it

in Spink's nor in Coincraft's Catalog either.

Broad

1905.57.629.both.JPG

-Simon-

It cirtainly looks nice, I haven't heard of a broad other than of Cromwell. Looks like a Charles II Unite maybe? Although the portrait would be wrong for Charles II, interesting coin!

Edited by Master Jmd

Yes you are right, it looks like a Charles II Unite...

althought not only the portrait but also the inscription would be wrong.

Nell Gwyn was a Broad of Charles 11 ;)

Looks like a pattern Charles I coin normally held to be by a chap called Abraham Vanderdort, found in both gold and silver (Unite or Shilling). At least that's how it is described in the Brooker Collection book.

A Broad is a coin of 20 shillings and since this pattern is occasionally found with that mark of value it could be termed thus, though more correctly it would be a Unite since Broads were, as far as I am aware, exclusively issued for Cromwell.

Nell Gwyn was a Broad of Charles 11 ;)

Nell Gwyn was not his only Broad, he had quite a few:

Lucy Walter (1630-58) two children by her

Elizabeth Killigrew two children by her

Katherine Pegge two children

Barbara Villiers(1641-1709) Six children

Nell Gwyn two children

Louise de Keroualle only one child

Mary(Moll) Davies three children

Charles II was a busy boy

BTW the piece looks like a later restrike, the fields look a bit too smoothe for something contemporary to that time.

Looks like a pattern Charles I coin normally held to be by a chap called Abraham Vanderdort, found in both gold and silver (Unite or Shilling). At least that's how it is described in the Brooker Collection book.

A Broad is a coin of 20 shillings and since this pattern is occasionally found with that mark of value it could be termed thus, though more correctly it would be a Unite since Broads were, as far as I am aware, exclusively issued for Cromwell.

Sounds interesting! I didn't thought that it could be a pattern. That may also be the solution for the good condition of this coin...

Yes the condition is very nice (although you do sometimes get currency coins that are very clear. There is always a temptation to keep nicer coins and get rid of lesser examples!).

The fact that Charles does not wear a crown was the clue that made me check my records for patterns. I believe all currency coins for this ruler show him crowned.

The fact that Charles does not wear a crown was the clue that made me check my records for patterns.  I believe all currency coins for this ruler show him crowned.

True, it's Oli Chromwell and Charles II without a crown. They normally wear a laurel wreath...

Edited by simon

Yep! It's listed in Coincraft as being struck in gold, silver, tin and pewter as a Unite ( Page 687, C1PT-020)

Incidentally, while looking up 'Broad' in this book I spotted a milled £2 of our present queen that I didn't know existed! It certainly not listed in Spinks. It's quoted as being with head 4 and reverse 3, "Anniversary of the gold sovereign". Anyone know of it ever appearing?

Hey Bingo!!!

See? I don't know the Coincraft Catalogue as well as I should...

I prefer Seaby normally...

That's kind of an interesting section about all those patterns B)

Thanks for the hint!