British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Gary

1834 Penny Missing Serifs

Several yeaes ago I purchased an 1834 Penny for my collection. On recieving this coin I noticed that it was flawed ( or is it?) . the "T" and both "N`s" of BRITTANNIAR on the reverse are missing the lower Serif`s. There is a very very faint impression of them only just noticable with a x10 magnifiying glass. I have since been looking for an example with complete Serif`s and have so far been unsuccessful. Are all 1834 pennies flawed or does anyone have an example with full Serif`s?

post-31-1124972686_thumb.jpg

The coin in question is graded NVF and as far as I know this flaw is not mentioned by Peck.

post-31-1124973149_thumb.jpg

Hi Gary,

well spotted - I hadn't noticed that before.

My 1834 (which is the one featured in collectors coins 2005) has exactly the same flaws.

Peck makes no mention of any variants so maybe they're all like this.

I don't have an 1837 but I've checked my 4 1831s and they all have the same flaw which is that the rightmost lower serifs on the Ns are missing.

I would expect if anyone had spotted any variants it would be Micheal Gouby (http://www.michael-coins.co.uk/GBcopper1d1.htm) but he doesn't mention any.

For what it's worth, 1 of the 7 1831s in Spinks Adams auction 23/7/03 had this as did the 1834. The 1837 did not.

Hi Rob and custard1966,

thanks for your replies. Interesting, I thought this Flaw was only to be found on the 1834 Penny, obviously not! The two 1831´s in my collection do not have this flaw but the 1837 does. The 1837 goes one better and is also missing the lower right serif of the "I" in "BRITT...." However we have not yet established wether or not there are any 1834 Penníes that have the serifs fully struck or indeed 1837. Anyone!

Have a good weekend.

Gary

Hello all,

I now have poof that the 1834 penny does in fact exsist with all serif`s intact.

It has taken me 3 months to find but I now have an example in my collection.

It`s only graded "Fine" and bought on Ebay, but it is the only example with intact serif`s

that I have managed to find so far.

Maybe another variety to add to CCGB 2007?

Cheers

Gary

Just a bit of additional info. The coins exhibiting the missing serifs also are missing the left hand foot of the X in REX. See Scans.

1st Scan- 1834, 2nd- 1837 and last Normal X

As I mentioned before, the 1834 without the faults seems to be rarer of the two where as for the 1837 this is the other way round. Not that any 1837`s are commen.

post-439-1172315494_thumb.jpg

post-439-1172315563_thumb.jpg

post-439-1172315586_thumb.jpg