British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Sylvester

New Pope and all that...

Just wondering what name the new Pope (when he's elected will take).

Please no more John's or Innocents... there's been too many as it is!

How about a Matthew, a Mark or a Luke?

Although Bob would be good... sorry couldn't resist it! :rolleyes::D

I like Luke..... but how about Monty or Cecil?! Or Ed, Ted, Jed, Fred, Ned......? :D

What about Kevin or Colin the First?

Or even Pope Christopher I?

I thought of Fred...

Might as well go the whole hog and have Sylvester, there's hasn't been one in a long, long time. Sylvester V has a ring to it.

Or perhaps Urban IX.

There was an English Pope many years ago (i mean many!), i forget what name he chose.

Just looked it up, the English pope was Adrian IV, elected in 1154, and he didn't want the job.

Knowing how hip and trendy you just know it's going to be Cyril I

Click here for a list of all the popes...

...and when was the last Pope James, or Jacob as such...

Edited by Master Jmd

Do you reckon if a good Catholic boy was christened Jervais,Horace or even Adolf he would

be excluded from being the Pope....This is surely NAMIST. ;)

Well,

as you could imagine, here in Italy the new Pope and the name are the news of the day, of the week, of the year....... :P

and there are also tv programmes that explains the coorect order of names, of papacy etc, etc.....

e.g. according to recent studies it seems that Pope John Paul II was the 262nd Pope (starting from St. Peter), but hi papacy was the 264th, couse there was a Pope that reigned 3 times.....

very complicated.......

According to the name, it's considered the first "programme declaration" of the elected pope, so there will be differences if the name will be John Paul, or John, or Paul, or Benedictus, or Pius, or Leo etc.....

anyway, I think we don't have to avait so much..... today there will be the "Extra omnes" (anybody out) and in the next days there will be the white smoking and the "habemus papam" (we have the pope) and we'll know the name of the new pope.....

Or perhaps Urban IX.

Urban is my first choice, with Adeodatus in second.

I look forward to the next pope being Jane Pauline - now that would be a sign the church was committed to change :D

Geoff

I look forward to the next pope being Jane Pauline - now that would be a sign the church was committed to change :D

Geoff

And how! :D

Well perhaps he could hedge his bets and be a little more cautiously liberal;

Sandy.

Oh boy; this ones gotta be the most progressive...

St. Dionysius (260-268)

Named after a Greek/Roman god! I like it!! :D

St. Simplicius (468-83), Blessed Victor III, and Blessed Gregory X (1271-76) are the ones who worry me...imagine having a Pope Blessed Vicor in the 21st Century...

(1700th Post :unsure: )

Edited by Master Jmd

As I understand it, the person elected could be taken completely by surprise and not have a name ready... they could just say "I'm flattered!" and then we have Flattered I :)

St. Simplicius (468-83), Blessed Victor III, and Blessed Gregory X (1271-76) are the ones who worry me...imagine having a Pope Blessed Vicor in the 21st Century...

I imagine the "Blessed [name here]" Popes are on their way to sainthood - perhaps beatified? I think they'll be the ones before full-blown canonisation. However, the trouble between beatification and canonisation is verifying a miracle has been carried out by the person in question. This is probably the reason for so many "Blesseds" on the list.

I imagine the "Blessed [name here]" Popes are on their way to sainthood - perhaps beatified? I think they'll be the ones before full-blown canonisation. However, the trouble between beatification and canonisation is verifying a miracle has been carried out by the person in question. This is probably the reason for so many "Blesseds" on the list.

Big of a bugger when new evidence comes to light later suggesting they were not all they were cracked up to be. A good number of Popes have been totally unsuitable for the job (one even prayed to the devil if i remember rightly)

I imagine the "Blessed [name here]" Popes are on their way to sainthood - perhaps beatified?  I think they'll be the ones before full-blown canonisation.  However, the trouble between beatification and canonisation is verifying a miracle has been carried out by the person in question.  This is probably the reason for so many "Blesseds" on the list.

Big of a bugger when new evidence comes to light later suggesting they were not all they were cracked up to be. A good number of Popes have been totally unsuitable for the job (one even prayed to the devil if i remember rightly)

In my opinion, the sainthood system was cheapened by JPII giving them out like boiled sweets.

Edit: Century FM just said white smoke had been seen from the chimney, but the bell hadn't tolled. I can't find any agencies to verify this. On the subject of names, I found this site.

Edited by Emperor Oli

White smoke has been seen in Vatican

Well, the new Pope has been elected: Benedict XVI, former Archbishop of Munich, and then Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger. He was chosen on the third round of votes by the 115 cardinals meeting to select Pope John Paul II's successor.

BBC News

Edited by Master Jmd

Ugh another hard liner.

Quite a right-winger it seems - He published a book in Germany last week including his strongly right-wing views...

I don't think he did. His last work was Unterwegs zu Jesus Christus back in 2003. Do you have a source? I could be wrong.

I don't think he did. His last work was Unterwegs zu Jesus Christus back in 2003. Do you have a source? I could be wrong.

That is from what I heard about ten or fifteen minutes ago on the BBC news...I doubt that they would get it wrong...

Yep i expected as much, they had Ratzinger up as one of the favourites.

I really was expecting John Paul III, thank gods it's a Benedict... nice change. Sounds weird though.

I don't think he'll be with us long, he's 78. Kind of an interim Pope I think.