British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
jeremym

george 5 inside george 6 thrupence?

Hi.

I'm new at this business and am going through a small collection left to me by my grandfather. Most of the stuff I can work out using the variety of sites on the net.

I have found a George 6 thrupence with a George 5 coin inside it. The George 5 coin is like a current one pence piece with Georges head on it. There are no dates on either side.

Does anyone recognise this description or has my grandfather hollowed out a thrupence and stuck another coin inside it. If he did, he did a very neat job.

I'm sure you guys will know what this is. Please help me out.

Ta much,... Jeremy

I have heard of brass threepences that have a compartment inside... said to have been used by wartime agents to smuggle secret messages. Never heard of one with another coin inside though. The smaller coin sounds like a farthing which would normally have the date on the opposite side to the king's head, just below the seated figure of Britannia.

Thanks for that,... sounds intriguing.

Heres a picture of the farthing side.

What should I do with something like this?

post-32-1113036891_thumb.jpg

What should I do with something like this?

I would keep it as a token if I were you...or you could just sell it on ebay - I am sure there are collectors of this sort.

May I ask out of curiousity, what date is the farthing?

There does not seem to be a date on the visible face of the farthing.

I am new to this however so forgive me if I am being obtuse.

Keep it to remind you of your Grandfather (it obviously meant something to him)

On Ebay its got 99p written all over it.

There does not seem to be a date on the visible face of the farthing.

I am new to this however so forgive me if I am being obtuse.

I was a bit perplexed when JMD said it was a farthing; the rim looks far too large for a farthing. Saying that, the reverse could have been worn off to make it smooth.

Guest Guest

Oli its a 1/4d machined in a 3d...unless the 3d is an Eddie 8 its worth washers.

If his Grandad was an Engineerie type ...lathe in shed...its worth keeping...One of my grandads made 000,s

of these things....earlier editions are called trench art.

Oli its a 1/4d machined in a 3d...unless the 3d is an Eddie 8 its worth washers.

Yes I can see the rim of the 3d, but doesn't the rim of the farthing look wider than the norm? Or am I seeing things? :P

Yes it does look a little wider than normal doesn't it?

I've got one of these as well - only it's a 1943 farthing inside a George VI threepence (can't see the date of the 3d)

but doesn't the rim of the farthing look wider than the norm?

Yes it does...but what other coin could it be?...maybe the farthing was flatened a little in order to merge with the threepence.

but doesn't the rim of the farthing look wider than the norm?

Yes it does...but what other coin could it be?...maybe the farthing was flatened a little in order to merge with the threepence.

I wasn't thinking necessarily a circ coin, perhaps a model.

If the 3d had been hollowed out on a lathe, wouldnt you expect the 'hole' to be circular rather than sided?