British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
craigy

gilt proof

The flans were gilt before striking. Post-mint gilding never has the same surfaces as a proof, and the gilding tends to come off.

4 minutes ago, Rob said:

The flans were gilt before striking. Post-mint gilding never has the same surfaces as a proof, and the gilding tends to come off.

seems to be a vast disparity between gold colour and amount of gold between the ebay one and this one on Ingrams, not that i would ever buy form them again https://www.ringramcoins.com/coins/farthings/farthing-19260.html

I think they are both ok, but the ebay one is a bit worn, scratched and has seen better days. Ingram's pictures are crap to look at - a tiny full image and a small window when blown up isn't the best. They both show a slight greening on the outside of the obverse legend which I assume is metal flow leading to thinning of the gold layer, thus exposing the underlying copper.

Edited by Rob

rob how were they gilt, is like gold plating ? thanks for your replies 

57 minutes ago, craigy said:

were they gilt after or at the time, how do you spot later gilt ones ?

Later gilt will always come away showing an underlying normal dark copper colour. Or, where it's been 'painted on', the final effect is so obvious you can immediately tell it's not genuine.

4 minutes ago, craigy said:

rob how were they gilt, is like gold plating ? thanks for your replies 

I don't know is the answer. I haven't read anything about the flan preparation used at Soho. You also get Barton's metal in the 1820s which is a sheet of gold applied to both sides of the copper plate before the blanks are cut out. In this case you have exposed copper on the edge, which is clearly not the case with the Soho blanks (or at least it would be extremely difficult to apply a lasting finish), which have good quality gilding over all surfaces.

1 minute ago, Rob said:

I don't know is the answer. I haven't read anything about the flan preparation used at Soho. You also get Barton's metal in the 1820s which is a sheet of gold applied to both sides of the copper plate before the blanks are cut out. In this case you have exposed copper on the edge, which is clearly not the case with the Soho blanks (or at least it would be extremely difficult to apply a lasting finish), which have good quality gilding over all surfaces.

is that rolled gold? 

2 minutes ago, craigy said:

is that rolled gold? 

What? Tobacco?

• Haha 1

Gold on silver (silver gilt) is technically called Vermeil. There are instances where this term is applied to the much rarer gilt bronze.