British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

teecee

First bust or second. 1691 3 pence

Hello all i recently bought a 1691 3 pence but i really dont know much about Maundy Coins perhaps one of you guys or girls can enlighten me as to whether its a first or second bust ive been struggling to find photos of the varieties of that particular  year. Help needed on this one. A fairly rare coin i believe or is it?

161212125957_UK 1691 3pence1A.jpg

161212130101_UK 1691 3pence3.jpg

Pictures aren't great but it appears to be second bust - has the obvious tied queue behind William's head which is not visible on the first bust type. Also William has a far more obvious top bunch to his hair on the second type - but I may be wrong. (Based on the pictures in Spink "Coins of England".)

First bust type is scarcer for this date. At UK grade of VF this is probably a £60 to £80 coin.

Also, this is not strictly Maundy, as correctly attributed by your TPG. These coins were made for general circulation - it was 1816 I believe before a special Maundy issue was created.

Thanks Paddy i was hoping it was worth a bit more than that coin yearbook 2016 prices on 2nd bust were F 260 VF 420 and XF 570 first bust more than that as you say, so i thought it was quite an elusive coin.

Once it arrives i will post better pictures of it these are the sellers pictures i paid 1800 rand for it works out about £100 did my spidey senses leave me. Bummer.

Learn from mistakes...you haven't been ripped big time.

Buy raw coins from reputable dealers....that is how I play.

I may be under-estimating - it is a while since I bought one and the book I have is a few years old. In the end it is worth what someone will pay for it, regardless of what the book says. So based on the fact that you have just bought it for £100, that is what it is worth - today!

Demand is a price fixer.There is not a big following of some coins hence how can anyone put a price on one.

Dodge and deal on what you like....I have a few coins which I must have.....Bury St Eds mint hammered:) I will pay well over book....just saying.

Totally agree any item is only worth what anyone is willing to pay whether its a coin watch car whatever i dont take these prices as gospel just as a relative but its not in the same ball park as a 1689 say.

I shelled out for my BSE coins but the enjoyment I get out of them(Bury lad) £ can't buy that  .Robert de Hadleigh I bow to you.....when I got a nice example:):)

Spink gives £130 in VF so you haven’t done too badly I reckon.  Looks like a nice coin, enjoy it.

Jerry

To be honest im more of a copper lover than silver, i think it gives a coin more personality i recently picked up the little cracker patina beauty spot to boot.

DSCF1669.JPG

DSCF1670.JPG

• Like 1

Guest Womble 01

that is very wrong. I have checked in my 2017 coin value book and it is worth around £260 in fine condition. What you have there is in extremely fine condition and is worth around £690. Well done! and congratulations!!!!

if you have any coins you want to sell or valuate go on ebay and contact me at Womble 01 and I may make an offer.

56 minutes ago, Guest Womble 01 said:

that is very wrong. I have checked in my 2017 coin value book and it is worth around £260 in fine condition. What you have there is in extremely fine condition and is worth around £690. Well done! and congratulations!!!!

if you have any coins you want to sell or valuate go on ebay and contact me at Womble 01 and I may make an offer.

I disagree on a number of counts:

1. It is graded XF, which is a US grading and not the same as EF on the UK system. On the UK system I still think it would be around VF.

2. Book prices are rarely if ever realised in real life. It is worth, as was said before, what someone will pay for it. If you live by the book you will die by the book - financially at any rate.

3. I doubt very much that it would make anything close to £690 on Ebay - more likely back where we started - £100 +/- £50.

4. I believe soliciting sales in this section is against forum rules and particularly unwelcome form unregistered users.

I do agree with the congratulations on a nice find though!

On the other hand if Womble 01 is prepared to make an offer to buy based on a retail value of £690 I would bite his hand off, and use the money to buy a couple of better ones.

Jerry

• Like 2