British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

po_bob

186.1 penny?

Seems to be a dot or a stop between the 6 and the 1.  Any thoughts or information welcome.

UK 186_opt.jpg

Rust spot? Or a piece fallen off the die? I doubt it was intentional.

Thank you for your replies.  On this coin - and I apologize for the lack of sharpness in the images, which are the best I can manage - the exact roundness of the dot, its placement equidistant between the 6 and the 1, and on the baseline of the bottom of the numerals, seem to me to militate against a random anomaly.  Though I suppose anything is possible.

186.1 date det 1.jpg

186.1 date det 2.jpg

Probably a die flaw.

These sort of marks are frequently found on Victorian bronze (particularly well known are several on 1875 pennies and of course the 1897 O'NE ) and are thought to be impressions on the die from trapped grit etc, or early die flaws. Die studies have shown that they frequently extend to become more obvious die cracks. The positioning is effectively due to chance. Some were once considered possible  deliberate 'privy' marks, but that theory has been discounted in the light of further research. Some do collect these, and better known marks can attract a premium. The subject has been well covered elsewhere in these pages.

Jerry