British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Colin88

1887 Gold - Proof / Currency

This is probably a daft question but other than the type of finish is there any way of telling apart the proof or specimen strike from the currency strike on the 1887 Gold (£5 down to half sov),  like you can on the silver.

Some of the early struck currency gold coins look incredibly proof like ......is there something else that can differentiate?

Thanks

I agree some "specimen" sets look almost better than than PR 61. I think the best advise would be:-

examine the rims to make sure they are flat, broad and without raised surplus metal.

check the milling which will be wonderfully crisp and sharp to the touch

look at as many comparable, certified specimens as you can. Heritage photos are very helpful.

The subject has been discussed before at length and the only safe rule is "if in doubt, it isn't proof"

I have been told that the official boxes (for 1902 for example) containing proof sets actually have "Specimen Coins" written on the top of the box - as if back then they used the terms 'proof' and 'specimen' interchangeably