British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Nick1697

1549 Edward VI Shilling Arrow Bust 1 or 2

Hi I recently purchased this Edward VI Shilling, I have established that it is from 1549 and that it has the arrow mint mark on the reverse. It is too worn on the obverse to tell for sure if there was an arrow there as well.

Would anyone be able to confirm if this is a Bust 1 Arrow/Arrow or a Bust 2 -/Arrow

post-8889-0-58420800-1444347765_thumb.jppost-8889-0-61193600-1444347777_thumb.jp

It looks like there was an obverse mark before it was worn. If so, by extension it can't be a bust 2 -/Arrow.

Joe's article on this issue also states that all bust 2 coins seen are from the same obverse die. This is a different die and so, despite the lack of detail, all the indication are that it is highly unlikely given it is very rare. It isn't impossible that a bust 2 could appear on a different die, but I wouldn't bet on it.

• Like 1

I can see what looks like the very tip of the arrow just above the cross of the crown. I'd therefore agree with Rob.

Thank you both for your help. I wasnt sure if it was a colon, but after looking at some images of other shillings it seems they don't have a colon between the date and TIMOR.

Rob would you be able to dircect me to where I could find Joe's article?

I'm guessing it might be the 1985 BNJ article? You can access that here http://www.britnumsoc.org/publications/Digital%20BNJ/1985.shtml

Links on the left allow you to access an index to other digitised copies of the Journal. A useful resource to bookmark if you've not seen it before!

Edited by TomGoodheart

BNJ 1985. You can download it from the BNS site, or if you want the book, I have one available but it isn't listed on the site. £15 all in. PM me if you want it.

Thank you both again.

Rob thank you for the offer, I will work with the PDF for now. If I feel the need to have a book I will contact you.