British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest ViperSan

Gold Stater

Guest ViperSan

Hi there...

I have quite a few coins from victorian all the way back to the pride of my collection which I believe to be a Gold Stater of the Corieltauvi tribe type M

This coin like many others in my collection was found some years ago now when I was younger and spent a lot of time searching witha metal detector..

Sadly my back now refuses to let me persue what was once a great passion..

Im fairly sure of the coin type :-

One side clearly shows a disjointed horse with a wheel under its belly ....with 3 visible pellets in a box above and to the right of the horse...

Sadly the other side shows very little ... though I dont suspect wear ...favouring a bad casting ...

There is some sign of having a design though just what isnt clear...

Also there is a small scratch to the surface gold...presumably aquired during its time in the soil..

Any extra info would be welcome...and although I dont want to sell such a treasure....I would appreciate being able to attach a rough valuation to my miniature work of art...as grading this coin has always proved a nightmare for me...

Other coins In my collection include a few early hammered pennies the best of which is a rather nice edward the confessor -oxford mint-

and half a dozen Charles commonwealth halfcrowns - mints include London Bristol York & Chester ......sadly no Truro ... all of which were bought not found ..using monies from weighing in the scrap silver I used to dig up..

Thanks for reading

rgds

VS

Dear VS,

It's probably an S391 (From Spink 2003) but I'm no expert on Celtic coins and they tend to look very similar to me. Grading is always trouble with coins made before more modern striking processes were employed so I would imagine it's value would be dictated by how much someone would be willing to pay for it bearing in mind its unfortunated lack of obverse.

Book price is GBP300 Fine and GBP800 Very fine.

Thanks for using the forum,

Chris

www.predecimal.com

Guest ViperSan

Many thanks for the reply Chris..

Much appreciated...

I forgot to say that my example is more oval than round and is of course dished as many of theses Iron age coins were it seems...

The face of the coin withinin the dish would of course been protected to a greater degree ...and as such I would guess it was F+ ...

But as you say...the coin is let down somewhat by its lack of obverse ..

btw I rather like your suggestion of scanning coins as a way to make them more accessible on the PC

..and I may very well do just that at some point...

If anyone would be interested in seeing scans of any of the coins I mentioned....I will try to upload them at some point...

Not sure How well the coins will scan inside their HB mounts...

btw Chris what would your preffered method of protecting and storing coins be ...as having the coins inside these paper and plastic mounts makes the coins visible ...tho' not very accessible...

rgds

VS