British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob75

American coins: 1946 Liberty quarter dollar & 1953 LIberty half-do

Hi all,

I would be grateful for some information regarding these US coins I have in my collection.

In particular I would appreciate some guidance on their grade, value and history. I am doing some research myself but it is taking longer than I thought (have a big box of coins that were giving to me).

Many thanks,

Robert

www.thechestofcoins.com

post-5375-127954342894_thumb.jpg

post-5375-127954343946_thumb.jpg

post-5375-127954344747_thumb.jpg

post-5375-127954345536_thumb.jpg

Hi Robert,

The two coins you show are very common U.S. Silver (90%) coins.

The 1946-P Quarter would grade VG-F, and has a mintage of 53,436,000. Its value, is only one of a bullion coin. With Silver at $13.00 per oz, it has a value of $3.26.

The 1953 Half Dollar has a mintmark, but I can't make it out in the pics. The 1953-D Half has a mintage of 20,900,400. The 1953-S has a mintage of 4,148,000. I would grade the coin somewhere around F+. Both of these Halves have a bullion value of $6.51, with Silver at $18.00/oz.

Bob,

Thank you for the information.

I have magnified the image and it looks like there are the following letters: JRS or JRC

Am I looking in the right place and is this correct?

Regards,

Robert

www.thechestofcoins.com

post-5375-127966363636_thumb.jpg

The mint mark is on the Reverse side of the Half Dollar, just above the Liberty Bell (in the middle of the coin). It is either a "D" or a "S".....

The coins that you have are a Washington quarter and a Franklin half dollar.

The JRS on the Franklin half dollar stands for John R. Sinnock. He was the designer of the coin. The Liberty Bell is on the reverse of the half dollar.

The Washington quarter series started in 1932 with the last circulation strikes in silver being 1964. 1998 was the last year with the eagle on the reverse of the quarter.

Franklin half dollars were made from 1948 to 1963.