British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
kuhli

Relationship with colonies

What, if any, kind of relationship is there between the UK and the colonies, with regards to the coinage?

Are the coins of Jersey legal tender in the UK??

Are UK coins legal tender in Jersey??

I know that Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Falkland Islands, and Gibralter all issue coins to the same specifications as the UK (some by the Royal Mint), and I have heard some of you mention finding an occasional coin from one of these places in your change.

What, if any, kind of relationship is there between the UK and the colonies, with regards to the coinage?

Are the coins of Jersey legal tender in the UK??

Are UK coins legal tender in Jersey??

I know that Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Falkland Islands, and Gibralter all issue coins to the same specifications as the UK (some by the Royal Mint), and I have heard some of you mention finding an occasional coin from one of these places in your change.

No idea about the legality about it, but nobody tends to bat an eyelid if you get one in change.

You can spend UK coinage in the channel islands, and I would imagine the Isle of Man too. Because it's usually the same size and type, most people aren't usually bothered on the mainland. Some shop keepers may not accept them, but banks certainly will as it's also sterling.

Strictly speaking, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands are crown dependencies (not colonies) and not part of the UK, so their currency is not legal tender here. Manx coins bear the effigy of the Lord of Man, those of the Channel Islands the Duke of Normandy as their respective heads of state, which is why the Queen's titles differ slightly, as they do in the dominions. However, since most people don't actually spot their coins, they find their way into our change and get circulated. It's a good deal easier to spend a Manx coin, which isn't legal tender, than a Northern Irish banknote, which is!

G

I din't know Manx had coins!

I've known banks refuse to take non-mainland issues. I was under the impression that Jersey, Guernsey and all the other islands coinage were not legal tender in the UK itself, this also went for pre-euro Irish coins. But it seems it more complicated than that.

I was under the impression that Jersey, Guernsey and all the other islands coinage were not legal tender in the UK itself, this also went for pre-euro Irish coins.

Although there was a time when the pound and the Irish punt were of equal value and sterling was therefore freely accepted in the Irish Republic. Pre-euro currency from the Irish Republic was never officially legal tender here.