Jump to content
The British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

Recommended Posts

Posted

another sift through and I've not had a Hammered coin shared for awhile....

with a triangle shape I'm thinking Ireland coin, solid long cross 

its weight is 0.3 grms 

11mm diameter 

by chance could this be a Irish Farthing of Edward I 🤔

Irish 1.jpg

Irish 2.jpg

Irish 3.jpg

Irish 4.jpg

Irish 5.jpg

Posted

You’ve finally got some scales 😃

Taking your weight, and using the criterion from the North article below, I’d say yours is an early issue (1280-1284?) Dublin farthing - Open Es & Cs and the clear wedge-tailed R of Rex.

Whilst the reverse legend is weak, it does appear to me that there are both a D and an I starting in each quarter, making it Dublin (CIVI TAS DVBL INIE). I believe the only other mint for these farthings is Waterford (CIVI TAS VATE RFOR), so you can probably rule that out in this case…I’ll let you to decide what letters you see, it’ll be so much easier for you to confirm in-hand. :) 

 https://www.britnumsoc.org/publications/Digital BNJ/pdfs/1997_BNJ_67_4.pdf
 

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...