Citizen H Posted 5 hours ago Posted 5 hours ago I guess we all come across these... for me its an interest brought on by the unique individuality of damaged to coins that pass through the mint more so than high grade coins .... show me the carnage!!! This 1887 Half Crown (mint casualty )looks like its been hit with an axe.....? above the letter C you can see the blob of silver that happened during the mint process, How ? open to opinions , and Please do show your casualty's Quote
Chris Perkins Posted 3 hours ago Posted 3 hours ago Looks like a (post mint) scratch to me. The blob above the C is displaced metal moved aside from the rim, caused by the scratch. Quote
Citizen H Posted 2 hours ago Author Posted 2 hours ago 24 minutes ago, Chris Perkins said: Looks like a (post mint) scratch to me. The blob above the C is displaced metal moved aside from the rim, caused by the scratch. its to deep to be just a scratch, the additional silver near the edge is bled into the dots surrounding.. I can see about better photos but for now this is the I can manage. 👍 Quote
Martinminerva Posted 40 minutes ago Posted 40 minutes ago (edited) Definitely just post mint damage as Chris says. I think someone back in the late 1800s actually suspected it might have been a forgery (it's not, but many were at the time) and has cut or chopped the flan to test. The metal displacement can be seen along the entire length of the cut on the top side of it (so chopped at an angle upwards from SE to NW) and subsequent circulation wear has smoothed it out a bit including blending it into the beads, and separating off the bottom serif of the I to make a big blob. Not a mint fault, I'm afraid. You're actually not far wrong when you say hit with an axe! More likely a chisel. Edited 37 minutes ago by Martinminerva Tweak. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.