British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Millimoo

Dodgy £1 Coin

I've just got a coffee from the machine at work, like you do, and got a really dodgy looking £1 in my change.

It's a Welsh Dragon one, with very child like writing in Welsh around the sides. The ridges around the sides are and the bust and reverse feel very flat.

Comparing it to another £1 welsh, the writing around the side wobbles up & down, rather than horizontal, and there is little detail on the Queens hair etc.

I've no camera at work, so no pictures until tonight. Any thoughts?

Dave

:blink:

How does the weight feel? There was a spate of counterfeit £1's around Liverpool, I believe!

You'd think vending machines would be properly set up to reject fakes (or perhaps they do, but they're just loaded with them in order to give them as change!)

Let's see a picture of your Welsh Primary school £1 Dave. When you can.

Clearly a fake Dave, a 1999 coin would have a Scottish lion on it. The reverse is wrong for the date, and the edge lettering is awful.

So the forgers were at work at least up to late 2000 (and no doubt still are of course)

Request;

Keep your eyes peeled for any fakes that have the following;

Wrong reverse for the date AND the wrong edge inscription for the reverse design.

So basically if you get a dud 1994 £1 coin with an Irish cross on the reverse and the edge inscription PLEIDOL WYF I'M GWLAD.

Then i want to buy it (for £1, or maybe £2 if i'm feeling generous!) I really think no decimal collection should be without one and i want the most spectacular messed up fake i can get my hands on! It couldn't be much wronger unless it was copper plated.

I want them too!

But I suppose the forum members come first. If you want to sell it Dave, let Sylvester have it.

Thanks for that chaps - I've just noticed that the writting is upside down too.

I'll keep my eyes peeled now for more! I'll have to drink more coffee!

If either of you want it, you can gladly have it either FOC or just cost! (I guess cost is not right as it probably cost about 20p to make)

Sylvester, you get first shout, after that it's heading to Chris!

Dave

I think real ones have the edge lettering up one way of the other because the lettering gets put on last and it depends what way round the coin goes through the machine.

I think real ones have the edge lettering up one way of the other because the lettering gets put on last and it depends what way round the coin goes through the machine.

Oh is it that way around?

I always thought they put the edge onto the blanks first and then struck them. (This is how Charles II crowns were done).

Yes, good point, you're probably right. Come think of it, I think i've heard of £1 coins with just the edge lettering and no front or back strike.

Request;

Keep your eyes peeled for any fakes that have the following;

Wrong reverse for the date AND the wrong edge inscription for the reverse design.

Courtesy of a taxi driver in Preston last February, I have a fake £1 which

bears the date 1995 (a Welsh dragon year)

has a Scottish thistle reverse

has the English edge inscription "Decus et tutamen" (in the crudest lettering)

has completely misaligned obverse and reverse

has a worn centre to the reverse through which a different metal is visible

I knew he was giving me a dud but I let him get away with it because the thing is so terrible you could use it as an object lesson in how to make an obvious forgery.

I also have a dud £2 as well. That just looks shoddily produced but at least the details are correct.

G