British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
kuhli

decimal coinage packaging variations

I am compiling information regarding decimal coinage. I know that right now there is little true collector interest in this "modern" stuff, but for the next generation of collectors, this may become an area of interest.

I would like to get a head start on the documentation of the Royal Mint's endless stream of products, and could use some help. If anyone knows of anything abnormal or unusual about any modern decimal stuff, please share with me!!

The types of anomalies that I am looking for include things such as:

1. 1999 £2 standard issue ("History of Technological Advancement"), was not included in neither the Proof sets nor BU Mint folders. All sets included only the Rugby £2, yet every year since then, all sets have included both the standard and commemorative £2 issues. (speaking of which, was a standard issue even made?? I don't have one, yet, so I don't know)

2. 1983 Heinz BU set. (short-set that doesn't include the new £1, cover resembles the Heinz label. I assume this is a promotional pack ordered from the Mint by Heinz)

3. 1988 Australian Bi-centennial BU set. (normal set has picture of blue pillow, this set has map of Australia)

4. 1996 25th Anniversary of Decimalization BU set. (This is a 14 piece set, containing 1996 7-piece set 1p-£1, along with a 7 piece pre-decimal set of various dates. Green packaging, slightly larger than normal sets)

5. 1984 BU sets?? I saw a dealer's list that listed both a 7-piece and an 8-piece set for this year, but no other details given. Been watching for any 7-piece sets to come up on eBay, to compare for differences.

6. 1990 Queen Mother 90th Birthday crown. I have read that it comes both on a card, and in a folder, but the folder is uncommon. I have seen the card, which is off-white, vertical format, with some script writing above, and the coin below. I have also seen what appears to also be a card, but horizontal in format, with a picture of the Queen Mother to the left, and the coin to the right?? Or is this perhaps the inside portion of the folder issue??

Another question I have- I recently bought a couple of Proof sets from a local hobby shop. 1984 & 1986. Both are in the red leather "deluxe" packaging, but from what I have gathered from my resources, the red leather cases weren't issued until 1985?? So, should I assume that someone just combined the 1984 set with a newer case?

While I am on this subject, maybe someone can give me some clarity on the early proof sets. I vaguely remember once being told (or reading, but I forget where), that the Proof sets of 1970-1973 were all made in 1973, and that the 1974-1976 sets were all made in 1976, and that only from 1977 on were they actually made in the actual year. Is this just some yankee hocus-pocus rumors, or is there any truth to this?

While I am on this subject, maybe someone can give me some clarity on the early proof sets. I vaguely remember once being told (or reading, but I forget where), that the Proof sets of 1970-1973 were all made in 1973, and that the 1974-1976 sets were all made in 1976, and that only from 1977 on were they actually made in the actual year. Is this just some yankee hocus-pocus rumors, or is there any truth to this?

I'm sure I've seen a Heinz set, but can't remember the exact year, probably was 1983. On the subject of 1983, I have a set that seems to have been supplied by 'Martini'. It's exactly the same but has a slip of paper in it stating 'The Great British 1983 Coin Collection, with the compliments of Martini bla bla'.

I'm sure I've also come across BU coins in other packaging, in fact, I'm sure I remember some kind of promotion as a child in the eighties when you got a coin in a pack of something (crisps, cereal, I can't remember) I remember getting BU pennies and I was once lucky enough to find a 20p! But those were just new coins in fancy packs so I don't suppose you'll want to include that kind of thing.

I too have heard the same about the proof sets. I remeber finding out somehow that the 1970 was made in 1973, but I assumed it was so popular that it was made between 1970-1973.

What you're researching is great, because even though they are decimals, comprehensive information about them exists nowhere despite the lack of age, and it is important that someone finds these things out somehow, and documents them!