British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
chadcoins

1861 penny / micro pics info

Going to post a bunch of micro pictures to see if this penny has a variety number. My main interest here is Im from Canada and these doublings and die cracks are what collectors go after. I realy like the tripling of the Ds tail, N over N ,D over D, the B over ?, I would like some input if this makes this coin collectable?? Enjoy the pictures.

IMG_0210_opt.jpg

IMG_0212_opt.jpg

IMG_0213_opt.jpg

This coin is a Freeman 22 penny and, as such, fairly common. Many coins exhibit this doubling of characters under high magnification and some collectors seek out these characteristics but in my view they do not merit either a separate variety identity or a premium on value. Just my view.

19 minutes ago, secret santa said:

This coin is a Freeman 22 penny and, as such, fairly common. Many coins exhibit this doubling of characters under high magnification and some collectors seek out these characteristics but in my view they do not merit either a separate variety identity or a premium on value. Just my view.

I agree. There are many instances of doubling and they are so variable in nature that it would be very difficult to separately classify each type. One interesting feature of Obverse 4 is that the L C WYON is much more easily visible than on other types, but at the same time, the L appears as an I on most of them. 

Indeed this type of doubling is an error and not a variety as it isn't purposeful, it attracts a premium on coins in the US but nothing on UK coins.

I quite like it though!

I know very little about bronze bun head pennies, but I really enjoyed looking at those photos.  Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for all your input and I kinda like these Victorian variations. I did check out the web pages secret santa posted and they were a great help.

On 23 February 2017 at 9:29 AM, Nordle11 said:

Indeed this type of doubling is an error and not a variety as it isn't purposeful, it attracts a premium on coins in the US but nothing on UK coins.

I quite like it though!

Not so much an error, more likely a repunching of weaker letters. The Mint had very many problems with the early bronze coins, so this is an effect you often see.