British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
kuhli

unknown junk coin

okay, I have a few very low grade older British coins I have been trying to at least narrow down to type, even if I can't get a date off it. so far, I have a 1797 Cartwheel penny (#3032), a George III half-penny (#3036), a George II farthing (#2947), and one more that I am clueless on.

size: slightly smaller than a copper half-penny.

obv: bust, facing right, not draped. only legends readable is "George" "I" yes, it says George, not Georgius or Georgivs, etc. may be more roman numerals, but only a single "I" is confirmable.

rev: extremely worn, but almost appears to be the Irish harp.

I have the coin soaking in olive oil to see if maybe some more highlights will show up.

I thought at first that this might be a Hibernia half-penny, but my limited resources show that all of them have the Georgius legend. my next thought is that it might be a token, but that is uncharted territory for me.

any clue to what coin/token carries the "George" legend??

I guess it must be a token of some sort. Seaby's "Coins of Scotland, Ireland and the Islands" shows all the Georges used 'Georgius' or 'Georgivs' and there were no harps on George I st's copper! (except as being played by Hibernia!!)

Edited by Geordie582

I've seen I think "North Wales" tokens with the Obverse Legend 'George Rules' and a harp on the back. It's possible they also exist with "George III Rules".

They also tend to be a little smaller than regal Halfpennies, with quite crude portraits.

Any genuine coin or medal of George I wouldn't have the ordinal mumber on it anyway as at that point he was George the Only. This might well be a George III medal if the obverse is facing right. Any chance of a picture?

Geoff