British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Bob

Fred. Duke of York

Found I presume a copper(ish coin that is rather battered all around the edges, faces are in a fine condition - rather worn.

Face side is of a mans chunky faced bust in uniform facing right with Half penny 1795 underneath, with Fred duke of york around the rim.

Other side I presume to be a Brittania version holding some sort of implement like a large arrow point down with a twisting shaft. The other has a cartwheel so presume the whole is farming based.

This also states half penny around the rim but deciphering the date appears to be 1799, but it's not too clear. Strange one.

Any info would be appreciated

This can't be a coin but sounds more like a token than a medal. Frederick Duke of York was the second son of George III - the one immortalised as the Grand Old Duke of York. He had a military career, earning the nickname "the soldiers' friend". He was heir presumptive to his brother George IV but died in January 1827 - the second King Fred we never had. A number of medals were struck to commemorate the event.

Any token experts who can help?

Frederick Duke of York was the second son of George III - the one immortalised as the Grand Old Duke of York.

Actually i though James II was the Grand Old Duke of York? :huh:

Nope, Geoff is right. It came about from the brief invasion of Flanders by Frederick Augustus, Duke of Yorkand Commander-in-Chief of the British army during the Napoleonic Wars. He won a victory but then was defeated and returned to England hence "He marched them up to thetop of the hill, and he marched them down again".

Ah right, well i stand corrected...

I'd always been led to believe that James II had acquired the nickname, because not only was he known as the Duke of York for most of his life... but some people referred to him as that even when he was king...

And the song goes about the fact that in 1688 he got himself a small army, which then ran off and deserted him when William landed and hence the fact that they were up, then they were down... and then half way they were neither up or down... (lit. no where to be found...) :D

But you're right...

Maybe it's just as well that Fred never became king....

Guest jane

I also have a coin duke of York half penny one side dated 1796 Britannia on other dated 1700 weird thought had been stuck together but to thin and no seam weird

Probably a gaming token or similar - do you have pictures?