British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Gollum

webhosting

Ok so I got a new domain now I may want to look at hosting for it, so who is the cheapest about, answers on the back of a silver threepenny bit please

Edited by Gollum

Copied from my host "siteground"

http://www.siteground.com/friends.htm?referrer_id=41731

They give one year of hosting and free website transfer for $9.95 only! The offer is not publicly available and is much better than their current website price for the same service.

If you sign I will also receive a free month of hosting!

Whether it is the best deal you can get from them I don't know, I have always been impressed with them, and yes there is an incentive for me to encourage you to use them. They do the usual "try to get you to auto renew" etc. but as long as you are savvy it is no problem ;)

Copied from my host "siteground"

http://www.siteground.com/friends.htm?referrer_id=41731

They give one year of hosting and free website transfer for $9.95 only! The offer is not publicly available and is much better than their current website price for the same service.

If you sign I will also receive a free month of hosting!

Whether it is the best deal you can get from them I don't know, I have always been impressed with them, and yes there is an incentive for me to encourage you to use them. They do the usual "try to get you to auto renew" etc. but as long as you are savvy it is no problem ;)

and how do they know you sent me ?. and how do I stop the autorenew, is it an option presented to you.

By using the link, they set up a direct debit you just cancel it :D

Erm what link, I didn't see one, and i just emailed you too.

The one in the post above

The one in the post above

Sneaky aren't they !. Ahh well, i will leave it for a few months then cancel it, let you get your freebie first.

You have to your wits about you all the time nowadays!! ;)

Sneaky? Why sneaky? It looks a good deal at $10 for the year, i might give it a nibble myself.

Sneaky? Why sneaky? It looks a good deal at $10 for the year, i might give it a nibble myself.

I consider it sneaky putting a direct debit into a link without informing the person clicking it, amazing what companies do these days.

Dave,

It is a good deal in terms of trying web hosting, and seeing whether a website is for you. I genuinely can not fault the service I have for the price paid and whilst I try to sort most things out myself, the couple of problems I have needed help with, they have sorted out very quickly. The two areas I would complian about is teh auto renew, which like you say most companies do nowadays, but I just find it a bit sneaky, and the help section has lots of FAQ's and you have to be pretty determined to find a way through the FAQ's to get to "log a ticket" and speak to a person, but when you do it they respond within minutes.

They offer web templates and you also get a free shopping cart, such as Zencart, OS Commerce etc, which can be a bugger to set up, but a great challenge if you are into that sort of stuff. Time consuming but very rewarding!! :D

The usual price after the offer has expired is about £60-70 a year depending on the exchange rates for their basic package, but it does what I need it to!!

Dave,

It is a good deal in terms of trying web hosting, and seeing whether a website is for you. I genuinely can not fault the service I have for the price paid and whilst I try to sort most things out myself, the couple of problems I have needed help with, they have sorted out very quickly. The two areas I would complian about is teh auto renew, which like you say most companies do nowadays, but I just find it a bit sneaky, and the help section has lots of FAQ's and you have to be pretty determined to find a way through the FAQ's to get to "log a ticket" and speak to a person, but when you do it they respond within minutes.

They offer web templates and you also get a free shopping cart, such as Zencart, OS Commerce etc, which can be a bugger to set up, but a great challenge if you are into that sort of stuff. Time consuming but very rewarding!! :D

The usual price after the offer has expired is about £60-70 a year depending on the exchange rates for their basic package, but it does what I need it to!!

LCN.com do webhosting for about £2 - £3 per month or £20 something a year, so maybe when the year is up I will change host !. Customers can be sneaky too.

Dave,

Its something i'm definately thinking about, but not as anything for selling, probably on the similar lines what accumulator has done then perhaps sometime in the future eventually start selling. I realise it can be time consuming, but right now i don't think i have the nerve to sit here and plug away at a site, i spend enough time on the internet searching coins that if i spent even more time sorting a website that their might be a divorce on the cards (actually now i'm thinking about it) lol

I have most of my pictures so far apart from the Pennies after my USB stick went tits up, i recovered most of it apart from the Penny pictures and will get around to redoing these shortly. So i guess design and style is what i need to work out, saying that though, i suppose a website would also safeguard the pictures i already have if the stick ever went tits up. So just to confirm, i'd need a domain name first of all (whats the cost of these and where do i i register one)? Then a webhost.

Dave,

Its something i'm definately thinking about, but not as anything for selling, probably on the similar lines what accumulator has done then perhaps sometime in the future eventually start selling. I realise it can be time consuming, but right now i don't think i have the nerve to sit here and plug away at a site, i spend enough time on the internet searching coins that if i spent even more time sorting a website that their might be a divorce on the cards (actually now i'm thinking about it) lol

I have most of my pictures so far apart from the Pennies after my USB stick went tits up, i recovered most of it apart from the Penny pictures and will get around to redoing these shortly. So i guess design and style is what i need to work out, saying that though, i suppose a website would also safeguard the pictures i already have if the stick ever went tits up. So just to confirm, i'd need a domain name first of all (whats the cost of these and where do i i register one)? Then a webhost.

I get mine from LCN.COM if its a .co.uk domain I get them for about £6 for two years, if you want a .com domain go to godaddy or such in the states and its a lot cheaper, I find that .com purchases in the uk are a lot lot more to buy.

I think siteground will throw one in, but they tend to be cheap enough anyway. As Garry has said £10 for two years ish!!

if you want a .com domain

Thats who I use but all these companies you need to have your wits about you, if you forget to renew they get the domain and then you can buy it back off them for a nominal fee of about £80 <_<

[when registering the domain name, do i need the emails and such to go with it or just the domain for now?

[when registering the domain name, do i need the emails and such to go with it or just the domain for now?

just the domain name first, when you get webhosting it wil usually be part of that package that you can set up an mx

I do anyway, but I used to host my own sites for free with freedns direction and run my own mail server till BT got snotty about the open port.

Dave when you get the domain name you can the set up your own e-mails on that domain. For example I can issue any e-mail addresses with aboutfarthings.co.uk at the end. You will get the mail servers as part of the hosting package.

just the domain name first, when you get webhosting it wil usually be part of that package that you can set up an mx

I do anyway, but I used to host my own sites for free with freedns direction and run my own mail server till BT got snotty about the open port.

:blink::D

:blink::D

O, just checked my email account and the hosts sell domains plus hosting for 0,99c a month, so i've secured www.classicbritishcoins.com after my good old mate :lol:

Welcome to the wonderful world of websites....its nearly as time consuming as coins :lol:

Welcome to the wonderful world of websites....its nearly as time consuming as coins :lol:

Says i have to wait up to 24hrs before i can play. Best go and start on the Penny pics :ph34r:

Says i have to wait up to 24hrs before i can play. Best go and start on the Penny pics :ph34r:

Dave just noticed you have a typo in the web address in your signature

Dave just noticed you have a typo in the web address in your signature

Spoilsport !