British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Aethelred

Your cover ideas please.

Addition by Chris Perkins:

Using Aethelred' fabulous cover idea, this is now the forum to submit designs for the front cover. It should preferrably have a white background to keep ink costs down, and should perhaps resemble the previous covers (although I agree they were awful) so that the existing readership will know what it is.

Apart from those rough guidelines, the sky's the limit. This forum is just for putting ideas across....If you want to actually produce a proper 'working' cover, you should be able to send me all the fonts used (if I don't have them already), and the images have to be 300dpi.

Over to the original Aethelred post:

You'll want something that jumps off the shelf at the bookshop! I am no graphic designer, not by a long shot, but here is a concept:

Note that it has your web address on the cover and that it only has one coin pictured. The 2004 edition does not make good use of color, the photos are dreadful at best and the overall design is a case study in boring!

Collectors%20coins%202005.jpg

That's a great cover Dead King, but I want to try to keep the price well below £8.00, and I'm not sure how much a colour cover would add to the printing costs. Of course, in an ideal world I'd love a colour cover, and I'll certainly look into it.

The 'The choice of dealers and collectors since 1973' has to go! Sounds way to yank and makes me want to puke :blink:

The 'The choice of dealers and collectors since 1973' has to go! Sounds way to yank and makes me want to puke :blink:

I'll give that much! :D

This is just a post to bring this forum to the top of the list again!

This is just a post to bring this forum to the top of the list again!

spamming chris?! :P

I'll photoshop something later - I have a few ideas but I don't know whether they would look right on a coin book!

I'll photoshop something later - I have a few ideas but I don't know whether they would look right on a coin book!

I think we've got to have a Gothic on the front cover don't you... nothing like an attention catching coin.

a nice 1935 farthing in BU? :)

How about a nice 1903 BU GEM half penny?! All joking aside, a beutifully UNC coin will have to be on the cover devoid of surface marks or pitting to attract the numismatic eye.

I heard from RJ Marles today, he asked if I wanted him to do the 2005 as usual and suggested he put the new Four Minute Mile 50p, The Fourth Bridge £1, and the Steam Loco £2 on the fornt cover!! I politely decilned and just asked for his price data.

I know that it for some reason has been a tradition to feature the latest coins on the front cover in recent years, but for gods sake, they look poo compared to some of the older designs, and frankly who really wants to know what the new coins are worth, when it's already fresh in their memory what they paid for them.

I think quality older coins are what's needed on the front cover, doesn't have to be anything that valuable, just a nice old BU something.

I think the best coins to get for eye appeal... are;

George III Cartwheel coinage obverses, Gothic stuff and the reverse of Edward VII florins.

Exactly what I'm doing minus the Cartwheel! It should be finished soon and it won't be that spectacualr owing to the brief from Chris!

Edit: No, it's totally crap so I won't even bother submitting it :lol:

Edited by Emperor Oli

Have a look at this one Chris:

Collectors%20Coins%20White%20Cover.jpg

That's certainly 3,000,000 times better than the current cover!

It looks appealing but it is a bit too 'in your face' I think which would discourage buyers.

It looks appealing but it is a bit too 'in your face' I think which would discourage buyers.

How should I change it?

Make the colours a bit less bold (light or barkish blue) the layout is very good mind you!

Also, the 'prices for all coins' is incorrect, it only lists coins from crowns to quarter farthings from 1820 onwards.

Make the colours a bit less bold (light or barkish blue) the layout is very good mind you!

One think I should warn you all about is that I am colorblind! When I do something like this and it comes off garish, that is why! :blink:

Change it to prices for all non-gold coins. That should cover it.

I think the writing should be darker to contrast more with the background. Actualy don't change that yet, leave all the writing color as it is but...

Change the red for Dark blue... See what it looks like.

(i was going to say dark green, but i guessed it might be a red/green thing)

Like your Led Zep signature Aethelred, one of my most favourite bands.

Led Zeppelin never gets old to me Chris, I could listen to 1-4 endlessly and never get sick of them!

See if this concept for acover works better:

Collectors%20Coins%20WhiteBlue%20Cover.jpg

Much better! :D

It looks better to me, more consistent with fewer colours...

Next years could be green, year after red, then purple, orange, reddish-brown...

Consistency but with some variance from year to year that's the key. I personally hate the way some books totally change their cover layout every year so that if you have them on the shelf together they just look totally out of place together.