British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest miles

Is this anything special

Oh my. I'll defer to other experts but at first glance that looks like a noble. Other people ought to be able to tell you its age and approximate value. I would go back to this friend's garden and dig it up.

I'm watching the footie...I will check later.....but I agree with Oli....Gold is easy to spot...is it?

Guest miles

I think its a half noble of Edward III.....Not sure if its worth anything?

M.

If it's a real one then yeah it's worth something alright.

If you can get better pictures so i can read the writing then i'll try and attribute it for you. What diameter is it? (Looks half nobley to me, but clipped nobles can look like that too).

Guest Miles
If it's a real one then yeah it's worth something alright.

If you can get better pictures so i can read the writing then i'll try and attribute it for you. What diameter is it? (Looks half nobley to me, but clipped nobles can look like that too).

It is 100% half noble of Edward III i have been told.... In very good condition.?

M.

Not bad condition at all actually, a little water worn perhaps and a bit ragged but it has been buried so that's not unexpected with these, put it this way there's alot worse out there, some are found folded in half or in quarters and need to be straightened out (hence why some on the market are described as 'creased', i.e because they've been unfolded)

Now i don't have my reference books with me, but a coin of this nature could fetch anything from say £600-£1000 or more depending upon 1) if it's real, 2) what type or class the coin is from. Rarer classes obviously command more. Edward III though is a rather complex series with many types.

Half nobles are particularly scare though and tend to trade at prices closer to full nobles. If i were you i'd get it taken to a coin dealer and get their appraisal of it, it's one of those things you really have to see in the flesh and examine in hand to get an clue of it's authenticity or it's class/type.