British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Richard2

Scottish cut half

Hi, some help needed with this cut half please, Alexander III first coinage, , not sure the type though. I can make out RES ON on the reverse .so according to Spink the mint of ‘FRES’ I’m assuming. That could be Walter type III, VII,VIII or Wilam  type III.  Looking at the coins in the book(page 17) the King doesn’t appear to show pellets for a beard like my coin does. Coins of Alexander II and William I show the King with a beard but no mention of the mint of FRES , wherever that is. 

Thanks in advance Richard 

DF279398-6483-4DF6-AD3A-BB652B185E83.jpeg

3BAAD951-D144-47FB-B8D9-3C48427F8911.jpeg

Before someone else points it out ,I’ve got it wrong of course. That’s the moneyers name you can see not the mint. 

So there was a Pieres at Roxburgh during Alexander II. So I think I might have solved it myself.

Or have I ?

I think that's correct. Pieres is sometimes also seen as Peris on Roxburgh coins of Alexander II. 

Spink ref : 1536. 

• Like 1