British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
GJB

Charles II Half Groat for full ID

Hello,

I am new to the forum, however after receiving help with a recent detector find I was hoping someone could assist me with some more information in respect of the attached coin.

I am aware that this coins is at the cusp of the change from hammered to milled coinage and that as such it is an example of the undated half groat coins struck between 1663 and 1667. I do not have a very extensive library of coin reference books but from my copy of Coincraft I was expecting the obverse legend to read CAROLVS II D G M B F & H REX, however my coin has ET in the legend as opposed to &. 

I have found a couple of examples of the coin on the internet but they seem to place the coin between 1660 and 1662, but that cannot be right as coins of that date were still hammered.

My best guess is that at some point between 1663 and 1667 the legend changed from ET to & (or vice versa)...

I would be grateful if anyone could confirm whether this is correct and if so the date when the change took place if possible as I would love to understand my find fully and also put a tighter date to it.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance which you can provide

DSCN2978.JPG

In addition please see the attached picture of the reverse...

DSCN2980.JPG

I just happened to have ESC opened near the right page when I read this post, your half groat is the first milled issue of Maundy Money referred as a undated Type C ESC2167A. The other undated types, D, F and B (don't ask what happened to A and E) have a & instead of ET. Don't take the term Maundy Money to literally for this period it is just a general term for small silver change.

Thank you very much for the confirmation Sleepy, much appreciated.

You mention ESC in your post which I presume is a reference book. Whilst I have been detecting for five years and have a growing collection of coins I am only more recently becoming fascinated in really understanding and classifying what I have found. As such I would be grateful if you could provide a full title if this is a reference book or any other recommendations, so that I can start developing my library of reference works.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply 

GJB

ESC is English Silver Coinage since 1649, it is the standard reference for this period, the latest 6th edition by Maurice Bull is available.

Thanks again Sleepy,

I must say I am very impressed with the fact that members on this forum are not only very well informed on their subject but that they are also prepared to spend time helping novices like me begin to get to grips with it.

I only hope that my searches give me cause to be a frequent visitor in the future

Regards

GJB

• Like 1