British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Nick1697

Charles I Half Crown

I recently received this half crown with a group of other half crowns. I was wondering if it is real. It seems to have some sort of raised bumps over some of the surface. I am not sure if it is pitting caused by corrosion or if it is bubbling of a counterfeit.

IMG_4468_opt.jpg

IMG_4470_opt.jpg

IMG_4469_opt.jpg

Edited by Nick1697
Removing duplicate photo

More likely corrosion. Any sign of copper with a silver wash, as counterfeiting wasn't very normal in debased silver? And the weight? The 3a3 issue was not the best in terms of quality.

The weight is 14.35g. I can't see any copper showing anywhere, so I guess it must just be corrosion.

Yes I have noticed the bad quality of the 3a3. Many of that type I own are very poorly and weakly struck.

Guest Stuart

Even though the flan's splits/flaws don't raise any immediate suspicion, the raised bumps, which do look die-corrosion-like, appear to  have survived the obvious wear of the coin. If you look at the horse's head, for example, the raised pimples have 'survived' in remarkable sharpness, and in contrast to the overall condition of the coin.

I personally feel uncomfortable with it...I wouldn't buy it for myself with any confidence.

I'm no expert on the C1 HCs but isn't that also more than a tad overweight for a worn coin of that period?