British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Detectorist

Tealby pennies

Hi all

I moved to Norfolk, UK, last March and like to metal detect in my spare time. Since then I've found about 65-70 hammered coins (no gold yet, unfortunately). Mostly Edwards I, II, II pennies, with a smattering of half groats and groats etc, but I wondered if anyone could place a value on these two and a half Tealby pennies? I didnt want to sell them but if they are worth more than £50 each, I should give the farmer something.

Many thanks for any advice.

Jon

IMG_2303.JPG

IMG_2302.JPG

Hi Jon and welcome !!

Nice finds ! I am sorry but at the moment I can give you informations only about the second penny because looking at the photos trough my smartphone I have some problems with the others ....

I think the second may be a Henry II penny bust C ( 1162-1167 ca. ) ... on the reverse I read I:ON:LV ..so London mint  , the I is the last letter of the monneyer's name and considering all the monneyers who struck coins in London during Henry's kingdom there are 3 possibilities : Geffrei , Godefrei or Hunfrei ..maybe with the coin in your hands you can read some others letters ;)

Matteo

p.s I think that just this coin is worth al least 100£ , it is in a good conservation for the type ...

• Like 1

That's great, thanks Matteo. I've been hoping to find something that I can share with the farmer - it's very generous of them to let me on to their land, so I'll look forward to dropping off some money with this particular farmer. I'll take the coin along and your description :)

Many thanks

Jon

1 hour ago, Detectorist said:

That's great, thanks Matteo. I've been hoping to find something that I can share with the farmer - it's very generous of them to let me on to their land, so I'll look forward to dropping off some money with this particular farmer. I'll take the coin along and your description :)

Many thanks

Jon

you're welcome :)

about the first penny initially it looked me a Stephen one but now I am almost sure that it is another Henry II , probably bust A ... for the mint and monneyer I've no idea maybe if you can post a new image I can try to help you ....

for the cut halfpenny I am sorry but with this photos I can't see anything :( 

Guest Mark Winiger

would be very interest to buy the pennies off you if you are prepared to sell as I collect these.
Regards

Mark

21 minutes ago, Guest Mark Winiger said:

would be very interest to buy the pennies off you if you are prepared to sell as I collect these.
Regards

Mark

The thread is 18 months old Mark and he only posted once :)