British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Guest derick

Some really ridiculous eBay listings

Not even the usual "georgius v" but EDWARD V!

Well i'm not sure what to think about that one!

First i thought he'd just got an Edward VII Halfpenny, but for some reason had just nabbed a picture of the nearest coin he could find to make it look right (and used the wrong numeral).

Then he says it's 1933 and insists it's Edward V (Still showing the picture of the penny though), how could anyone get GEORGIVS mixed up with EDWARDVS?

I mean does GEORGIVS even look like Edward?

What an idiot.

oh and his title and description don't match...so is it a penny or a halfpenny he's selling?

Or is he actually selling a lemming but decided to describe it using as many coins as possible? With an Extremely rare 1933 penny pic to boot.

And if you look at his response to his latest negative feedback, particularly the negative he left for the person that last left him negative feedback. His language proves to me that he is probably a really foul man. (or woman, but that's unlikely)

Sylvestor's right about this being a photo of a genuine 1933 Penny. It appears to be the one depicted on Tony Clayton's website. Here are links to the obverse and reverse photos:

1933 Obverse 1933 Reverse

Now if we can just figure out how this coin ended up in the seller's loft...

I knew it was the real deal (the pic that is) you can tell, they were darkened at the mint. (So were 1935s though), the date looked genuine (not altered).

If you see a 1933 coin dark like that in such high grade with lustre shining through you can be sure it's not an altered coin. (Could be an all out fake i suppose, but not an altered one). If it had been an ex-35 one then the date would have been iffy.

The question is not how the coin ended up in the seller's loft but rather more what the heck is he actually claiming to be selling? I for once don't actually know...

Te penny, the half penny, some strange hybrid? An Edward V coin (notice Edward V coins are also extremely rare)... i think this guy knows something about coins.

He knows Edward V is rare (even if they are all gold/silver and hammered and many centuries too early it matters not to this seller), he also knows some 1933 coins are rare,perhaps hedoesn't know whether it's the penny of the half penny though and thus he's used both descriptions...

Very odd.

I know the trick he's pulling... he's trying to come across as the "i know nothing about coins [he does really however limited it may be], here is a 1933 'penny' [look at the pic see it is a 1933 penny] i don't know if it's worth anything [but you know that and you'll think i'm not trying to scam you if you think i don't know what i've got hold of here... so you're gonna get it for a bargin are you?]"

Now surely he'd just lable it as 1933 George V penny?

Why confuse things further?

Sylvestor... I wonder if in making the Edward V reference, this fellow may have been thinking of Edward VIII and so out of the rare 1933 Penny of George V and the equally well known rarities of Edward VIII emerged the hybrid of Edward V. Nearly all of the 1933 pennies for which I've seen photos had been darkened at the mint. The one exception to this that comes to mind was sold at auction in 1972 and had been part of a 1933 proof set.

I wonder if a 1933 penny will come up for sale in the near future? :huh:

1933 1d?  Well almost....

1933 1d

This is an 'interesting' one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...3932106585&rd=1

somehow makes me deeply suspicious :)

Just take a look at his ebay ID, the ID speaks for itself! He must have just done a google search to get any picture!

I emailed him asking exactly what it was that he was selling, because the image, title and description seemed to conflict with each other. I also asked if the picture was of the actual item for sale. No reply, but he has ended the listing.

Chris....According to the ebay listing "The seller ended this listing early because of an error in the minimum bid or Reserve amount". Even in ending his auction, this seller proved to be incapable of telling the truth. Perhaps he should go into politics.

With his foul langauge and with John Prescot as his mentor, i'm sure he'd go far!

Well i'm convinced! :D

Edward VII (Queen Victoria's son) was only on the throne for the 8/9 years that these pennies were minted in, which makes coinage bearing his effigy rarer and a lot more collectable than other modern monarchs. A whole set like this is much sought after but almost unheard of! The fact that they are all together obviously adds considerably to their worth.

For only 99p!

This collection has taken years to put together

So, he recalls his great grandfather collecting them between 1902-1910...

No wonder I don't sell any of mine for Buy it Now at £3.00:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=3932390518

I have enough Edward pennies to make quite a few sets, and they take me no time at all to put together.

Well worn seems to be an understatement. Hows about a rubbish grade to begin with, worsened with the aggressive polishing and god knows what instrument that has been taken to it?

Another know anything about this ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...3935656411&rd=1

I've never heard of this 'rarity'.

Is it genuine or is he trying his luck (or genuinely ignorant) ?

I have a 'silver' 1973 penny (bought for 99p)

I've found this

http://www.24carat.co.uk/silverpennies.html

but that doesn't seem to cover the non-plated earlier decimal issues.

I sold a mis strike aluminium (or similar metal) 1979 (I think) penny recently for £25, and that absolutley wasn't plated or spray painted. I also have what looks like a silver coloured 2p, yet to be investigated.

There is no way in the world anyone would pay £3000 even if it is some kind of genuine error.

Do you have many error coins Chris?

No, not at all, I had a couple to sell for Richard of www.coinsforsale.co.uk. I have a strange double sided squashed 1966 Florin and a 1929 milled edge halfpenny. Nothing much else.