British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Jules

Penny (decimal) with 'blob'

Hi

Found this 1987 penny with a 'blob' on the reverse (see the corner of the port cullis near the N in ONE). Appears to be a bit of metal, perhaps from a previously struck coin, that's got stuck on somehow. Does this sort of thing occur regularly? Thanks.

post-5326-127485819092_thumb.jpg

Hi

Found this 1987 penny with a 'blob' on the reverse (see the corner of the port cullis near the N in ONE). Appears to be a bit of metal, perhaps from a previously struck coin, that's got stuck on somehow. Does this sort of thing occur regularly? Thanks.

I wouldn't say it happens that often, but the odd blemish/fault does get through the Mint's inspectors, even more these days when you look at some of the modern coins members have shown in the forums. It's a curiosity, no more, but if you like that kind of thing, worth keeping.

Just a simple die error.

I've got a 2006 2p which has got a raised blob in the field of the coin. I think it must have originally been a bubble in the molten metal which never flattened out.

Just a simple die error.

I've got a 2006 2p which has got a raised blob in the field of the coin. I think it must have originally been a bubble in the molten metal which never flattened out.

Forgive me being pedantic 1949! but don't you mean a "die blemish"? If there was a genuine die error in the modern era it would be remarkable and valuable, as witness the 1983 2 NEW PENCE error. (Though strictly speaking, even that is not a die error, but a mule - I'm finding it hard to come up with an example of a die error in modern times).

Edited by Peckris

Just a simple die error.

Forgive me being pedantic 1949! but don't you mean a "die blemish"? If there was a genuine die error in the modern era it would be remarkable and valuable, as witness the 1983 2 NEW PENCE error. (Though strictly speaking, even that is not a die error, but a mule - I'm finding it hard to come up with an example of a die error in modern times).

Yeah.......I suppose.

I'm not really sure what you would call mine either, and I'm very open to persuasion on this one. It appears like a little bubble in the upper field of the reverse. Die "blemish", as you suggest, maybe ?

Edited by 1949threepence

Just a simple die error.

Yeah.......I suppose.

I'm not really sure what you would call mine either, and I'm very open to persuasion on this one. It appears like a little bubble in the upper field of the reverse. Die "blemish", as you suggest, maybe ?

Or other blemish? E.g. on the blank itself? Or a bit of grease or foreign matter that got in for just one strike only?

Is there an online source which describes how modern coins are struck? I might find it easier to understand how errors occur with a bit more knowledge of the manufacturing process, it all seems like interesting stuff.

Is there an online source which describes how modern coins are struck? I might find it easier to understand how errors occur with a bit more knowledge of the manufacturing process, it all seems like interesting stuff.

The Royal Mint give this, which is pitifully short, but does give a superficial insight.