British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
josie

half soveriegn mint mark

A querry where can I see a mint mark of half sovereign of george the V in all mint and how to distingished a proof from normal one any variety on 1911 and 1912.

A querry where can I see a mint mark of half sovereign of george the V in all mint and how to distingished a proof from normal one any variety on 1911 and 1912.

The mint marks are tiny letters located below the very bottom of the shield reverse.

McDonald lists only a 1911S proof with the highest of rarity priced at AU$85,000.

He does not list any proof pieces for 1912; in fact no other George VI proof pieces from Austrailia.

W/M only lists half-sovereign London proofs for 1911. The unique matte proof (for photographing)

and the normal proof piece.

I guess most dealers would be able to distinguish between a proof and an early strike.

Thank you ken,1912 s proof is new to me thanks again for the info.

there are books mentioned s after date and s below the hoof of the horse, is this s mark is present only once? but not both s in the reverse of the coin?

Guest Guest

Here is the picture for future ref.

post-0-1165102322_thumb.jpg

Egg on my face! I was so focused on the proof part of the question. I had Marsh's open to

Victoria. Everything else is O. K. I think!

Correction. The mint mark on a George V is centerof the erergue ABOVE the date.

M P S SA

proof images and how to identify them is a mystery to me,just pushing luck but possibility in having one is remote.

just asking pointers for proof and normal,if budget allow I will buy 1911 normal also 1912 if it is still there, and hope I encounter some unlisted variety,Thank you ken,

proof images and how to identify them is a mystery to me,just pushing luck but possibility in having one is remote.

just asking pointers for proof and normal,if budget allow I will buy 1911 normal also 1912 if it is still there, and hope I encounter some unlisted variety,Thank you ken,

Wish you luck!

Anytime you can buy a real vintage gold or silver coin for not a whole lot over bullion then

go for it. You cannot go wrong.

One more thing.

How moch is a soveriegn no mint mark in fine to EF condition?