British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
dave-lowe

Unknown hammered gold coin

I bought this fairly recently from a well known auction site. The seller said it was found in Wiltshire. It's the first hammered gold coin I have owned, and I've been collecting over 30 years!

Naturally, I was interested because the coin isn't English. At first, I thought it might be French or Italian, but I have seen pictures of so many similar ones. I think it might be from one of the German states. Can anyone identify it? - I suppose it dates from around the 15th Century.

post-8294-0-79798400-1414231189_thumb.jp

post-8294-0-38904100-1414231192_thumb.jp

Interesting the obverse suggests Venice, but the reverse looks very like a Portuguee quinas (five shields each containing five coins, with castles in each quarter

here's a copper example 1438-1481 Portugal, Alfonso V Ceitil

1438-1481PortugalAlfonsoVCeitil.jpg

oops!

here's a copper example 1438-1481 Portugal, Alfonso V Ceitil

1438-1481PortugalAlfonsoVCeitil-1.jpg