British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest bhstisefton

1869 bun penny

Guest bhstisefton

Have heard that 1869 bun penny can be of significant value. Any comments?

Chris' Collectors Coins 2004 book values it as:

£30 if Fine; £95 if V.F.; £450 if E.F; and £650 if UNC.

Why is it so expensive if there where over 2 and a half million produced?

Those mintage numbers can be decieving because they are the number of coins made that year, but not always with that date. 1869 is rare, and the Collectors Coins 2004 book is probably quite conservative with its prices for the 1869 Penny.

Low grade examples are worth just a few pounds.

(Juan, sorry I have no list for you yet. It would be so much easier if you could just pop round and have a look!)

Here's an illustration of its rarity.

Michael Freeman had a collection of 60,000 pennies (mostly removed from circulation)

Of these less than 10 were 1869

There are only an estimated 2-3000 in existence.

Those mintage numbers can be decieving because they are the number of coins made that year, but not always with that date. 1869 is rare, and the Collectors Coins 2004 book is probably quite conservative with its prices for the 1869 Penny.

Low grade examples are worth just a few pounds.

(Juan, sorry I have no list for you yet. It would be so much easier if you could just pop round and have a look!)

Thanks for the answer.

I wish I could pop over to Germany, but I cannot... :(

Don't worry, I wait.

I think the last order arrived today, but I was not home, so I will get it tomorrow from the post office.